Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I Stand at the Door and Knock





Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. 
Revelation 3:20

“Hi! How was your day?” (Silence)  “I love you!” (Silence)  “Can I help you?” (Silence) “I can see you’re hurting, and I want to help you.” (Silence and walks away) 

Are you starting to see a pattern here? It’s called the silent treatment. I don’t know if you’ve ever been the recipient of the silent treatment, but let me tell you that it is the most emotionally abusive thing one can do to another human being. It is basically saying, “I hear you, but you are are of absolutely no value to me. In my eyes you are as good as dead.” The silent treatment is a form of control. It is selfish, prideful, and oh so damaging. The silent treatment is given in order to shut off all growth in a relationship, no eye contact, no verbal response, no affection, no communication. The one initiating the silence wants what they want, and they will do anything to make you hurt enough to do things their way, right or wrong. The crazy thing is, in shutting someone out we only hurt ourselves. 

For the one who is receiving the silent treatment it is pure pain. They long to heal the situation. They want to love and open lines of communication and affection. 

As I contemplated the silent treatment, I envisioned Christ standing at the door to our hearts. He knocks and says, “I love you.” Then he waits. “I can see you’re hurting, and I want to help you.” Again he waits. “How was your day? I’m here to make it better.” Again he waits. 

Since the beginning of your life, Christ has been knocking on the door to your heart. He is the balm for your pain. He is the eraser to your past. He is the perfect love for your broken and lonely heart. He is Love and he is waiting to lavish himself upon you! He will continue knocking and waiting every day to be invited into your heart and given permission to change your life.

Are you giving him the silent treatment? Do you ignore his call because he will ask you to change and do things a better way? Are you turning from him because you’re still to prideful and want to handle things yourself? Are you ignoring him because you’d have to let someone in who would find out who you really are- and then love you anyway? Are you too selfish to actually take your eyes off yourself and see what he’s already done for you? Do you look at the Bible and then turn away as daily tasks call? 

Today if you hear his voice, do not harden your heart! If you have not given your life to Christ today is the day. He longs to love you! If you are already walking with him, he’s still knocking. He wants the relationship to go deeper. He wants your total heart surrendered. He’s longing to open communication directly to your soul. 

I would so cherish the time to pray with you about opening the door of your heart for the first time. Or perhaps we could pray about an area that Jesus longs to have access to in your life. Don’t give him the silent treatment any longer. He has already paid the price for your sin. We need not punish him any longer by ignoring his call. We no longer need to hurt ourselves by keeping him at bay. Turn, face him, and allow him to have relationship with you! Please share with us what God has put on your heart today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!