Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Confess and Be Healed


When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength sapped as in the heat of summer. Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD”—and you forgave the guilt of my sin.  Psalm 32:3-5


King David had called for Bathsheba, Uriah’s beautiful wife. David slept with her. She became pregnant. David tried to get Uriah to sleep with his wife so no one would know his sin, but he refused. In a panic, David had Uriah killed. And yet scripture calls David “A man after God’s own heart.” Really? Someone tell me I’m misreading this? How could a man of such great sin be a man after God’s own heart? 

The verses from Psalm 32:3-5 tell us how David is God’s man. After all David did, he kept quiet. He told no one, and it just about killed him. Sin separates us from God and David was dying inside because his real love, his love for God was not able to flourish. His sin was heavy upon him. God brought Nathan to David to confront him in his sin. This was a gift from God. David had a choice to make- confess and be healed, or turn and run. The secret was out and now David chose to confess and be healed before God and man. David knew God intimately, yet his sin caused separation. When David confessed his sin, his guilt was removed. David’s heart was made pure before God. David was God's man because he didn't turn and run. When he had the choice, David chose God!

We all sin. Many of us hold our sin in secret fearing what others might think or we are afraid to let it go because we actually enjoy it. But sin kills us. It eats us from the inside out and keeps us from a free and healthy relationship with God. 

God is a loving Father. He wants us to be free from our sins. It’s why he sent his son to claim victory over satan and his evil. We don’t have to live under the pain and weight of our sin. “When we confess our sin”, John 1:9 tells us “God is faithful to forgive our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” This is God’s word to us!

‘Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.” Heb. 3:15

Confess your sin before God. Then claim that forgiveness and don’t look back! Pray for God to reveal unknown sin to you so that it too can be dealt with and forgiven. Satan will try to tell you that you are unforgivable, that you don’t deserve forgiveness. But God’s word is bigger and more powerful, so recite John 1:9 until you believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!