Saturday, October 26, 2013

Be Accountable


Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. 
James 5:16 

I am so very thankful for my GFF (God First Friends) Group. With these girls I can tell my temptations and sins without judgement. I can tell my frustrations and not be rebuked for being human. Through these Godly women I can be corrected without insult and condemnation. They are safe, honest, and loving. They believe that I am worth the hassle that it takes to lovingly guide, direct, and correct me when I am discouraged, wandering or worn out. I can be honest with them, and they hear the Truth when I share it with them. We hold each other accountable, and it makes all the difference!

Too many times Christians have the misconception that we need to appear "put together". We wear masks and say all the right things when in reality we are really an absolute mess. We meet to study God’s word, but we never really put our hearts out there for the relational intimacy that God created us to share. We fellowship and share meals, but we never really share ourselves. 

This is an area I struggled with greatly in the past and at times it still wants to creep up on me. God has taught me a lot about being real with both him and others over the last few years. I remember the first time I asked for prayer about a very personal issue. Everyone wrote it on their prayer list, smiled, nodded, and we went on to the next request. I left feeling humiliated that I’d put myself out there and felt that no one even cared. I felt ashamed that I was the only one who had issues. I was discouraged because obviously I was the only one who was a mess. It amazed me though that over the next several months others began to ask for prayer for specific things in their own lives. We no longer just prayed for others, but we began to share our need for prayer because of our own hurts, fears and struggles. Matthew 5:16 (MSG) has become very dear to my heart. “By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.

My GFF’s and I were brought together because we all had one thing in common... Each  one in our own way was a mess! We needed God, and we were not afraid to admit it to one another. Though accountability can be scary because of our vulnerability,  it is the sweetest blessing you can share with a fellow Christian. If you are not in a small group and if you do not have one Christian friend with whom you can be gut level honest, begin praying for these things. They will change your life!

Don't forget we are here for you too. You can share your story through email at godfirstfriends@gmail.com and we will welcome the chance to share God's word with you and pray together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!