Thursday, October 17, 2013

"I Never Knew You"


“Not all people who sound religious are really godly.  They may refer to me as ‘Lord,’ but they still won’t enter the Kingdom of Heaven.  The decisive issue is whether they obey my Father in heaven.  On judgment day many will tell me, ‘Lord, Lord, we prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’  But, I will reply, ‘I never knew you.  Go away; the things you did were unauthorized.”
Matthew 7:21-23



Ugh!  I had this conversation with God about 4 years ago.  I kept arguing my case that I had been in several bible studies.  That I went to church most every Sunday.  We tithed with every paycheck.  I put my time in volunteering at church.  I loved helping and sharing His love with people.  We just kept going back to the same thing..........He would whisper in my ear, “Yes, but I never really knew you, you never spend time getting to know me, you haven’t given me full access to your life and through that you don’t really trusted me.”  That was a hard pill to swallow but the best thing that ever happened to me.  

To know about someone or something is to be aware through observation, or information.  I was always aware of God and I absolutely believed in Jesus Christ but that is pretty much where we ended.  I never knew God in the terms of having a relationship with Him.  This scripture clearly brought this to my attention.  If people could know all the facts about God but still not get into Heaven where did that leave me?  I was far from knowing a lot about God. I knew He created the world and did wonderful and marvelous things.  I understood that His love for me involved Him sacrificing His only son for me.  I knew that my sins were forgiven as soon as I asked and I knew that one day I would share eternity with Him......or would I?  Growing up I never was taught to know God on a personal level.  Yes, I was taught to pray but I was never shown a clear picture of what that even looked like. 

To develop a relationship with someone you have to meet with him or her regularly, whether in person, on the phone or through email, there is regular and consistent contact.  You have to spend time sharing and getting to know all about the person.  All of this makes you familiar with him or her.  I have a few close friends whom I know a lot about.  We have many inside jokes and stories that we share.  It took time developing these friendships.  We know what makes each other happy and we know what disappoints.  I have spent so much time with a few friends whom I recognize just by hearing her laugh, seeing her hand writing or smelling her “smell” (I know you know what I am talking about).  Better yet, my eyes could be closed, my nose pinched, and I would still know my best friend by the sound of her voice.  Yes, that is the meaning of knowing in the terms of a relationship........the way God wants to know us and the way we need to know God in order to share eternity with Him one day.  

How do we have a relationship with God?  A person who is not in the flesh, someone who we cannot touch or even hear audibly.  I believe everyone has a different way of getting to know God on a personal level.  I don’t think that my way is the only way......God is very creative and will help you find a way that works, you just have to be willing.  For me it took effort.  I chose to spend time in His word every day and sometimes that meant waking up at very early hours.  I knew I wanted a different life and I was willing to die to myself in order to live in His will.  I also had an amazing accountability partner, thanks Mary, you are truly a blessing from God.

There are many ways to get to know God but one thing I know for sure is we have to open the door.  He is knocking on the door of our hearts and until we agree to let him in there is nothing He can do.  We have to make a decision to give ourselves to God.  We have to be willing to face vulnerability as we hand over control and let God mold us and shape us and teach us and change us.  

How do we spend time with or talk to someone who isn’t there?  Yes, it may seem like an impossible task but I have learned through my relationship with Him that He is more reliable than any friend I have ever had and He is always accessible.  I don’t have to wait for God to get off work to talk to him or ask His advice.  He is always there.  His word is always available and my prayers can be spoken in one easy word, or through many, where ever I am in my day.   As I have spent time with God reading His word and studying His commands I have learned to recognize His voice.  Oh there are still those days when I question Him and there are even days that I don’t hear Him at all but that doesn’t keep me from going back for more.  He is always generous to share a word of confirmation and He is faithful to provide my needs.  Yes, I know God now.  Four years ago, I didn’t know His voice, I didn’t have any inside jokes with Him, I only knew He existed.  Today, I can confidently say I know God.......can you?

This post was in no way meant for anyone to question his or her faith......Oh who am I kidding.  Yes, this scripture is meant to make us all question our faith and our eternal security.  God gave us His word so that we would look at our lives and make sure we are where we should be (2 Tim 33:16-17).  No, He is not condemning us, God is giving us a chance to make things right.  He is patient and He knows our struggles and He understands the difficulty we face everyday.  So think of this scripture as a second chance to know your Lord.  If you already know him, that’s great!  If you aren’t sure, talk to Him about it, you will know His answer by hearing His voice.  If  you do not know God, make a decision to know Him today.  Find an accountability partner who feels the same yearning as you and help each other along.  Together, hear Him knock, and open the door to your heart.  It will change your life!!

If you do not know how or where to begin please share with us and if you don’t want it to be public email us at: godfirstfriends@gmail.com.  We love each and every one of you and it is our prayer that you make a decision to know God and we are committed to help in any way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!