Friday, October 18, 2013

Hang On!


Do not grow weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9


This scripture is dear to my heart for many reasons, but mostly because God brings it to me about every other week in one form or another. Through devotionals, through friends, through the radio! I love how He works to meet me where I am! And I love that he knows the desire of my heart is to serve him, but sometimes I just get tired!

Have you ever ridden the spiritual roller coaster? Here’s what the ride looks like in my life...  One moment up, rising to the highest peak. As I’m teeter on the edge of the hilltop hands held high, praising comes so easy. Then wham! I’m plummeting downhill holding on for dear life begging for the ride to be over.  It’s then that I’m literally on my knees crying out for deliverance and to feel the peace and protection of my God! All at once I’m thrown into a loop-the-loop of doubt.   Thoughts enter my mind like these:  
“If I love and trust Jesus, then why am I a puddle on the floor?” 
“What in the world am I doing writing a devotional for others when I just picked myself up and wiped tears from my 
            snotty face."
“God, I just can’t do it anymore!” 
And the ride continues...

I am contemplating this roller coaster issue a lot these days. I wonder: Shouldn’t a Christian always be upbeat? Shouldn’t I always have the right words of encouragement and praise? If I’m trusting Jesus then when I break down something must be wrong with me, right?

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! I too often forget that though I am a spiritual person, I am also fully human. Emotions come and go throughout moments. Break downs happen. Times of laughter and ease ebb and flow. These moments do not define my relationship with Christ, they simply show that I am human! John 11:35 tells us that even Jesus wept. Mark 3:7 shows us that Jesus withdrew from the crowds. He was tired. 

Galatians 6:9 is direct from God’s word. It’s in the Bible because God knows that we too will grow faint. Our journey as Christians is difficult. Trials can wear us out. Our bodies get fatigued. Our minds just need rest. Tears flow from the deepest parts of our hearts. Weariness is a human issue. And long ago God gave us the perfect encouragement to stay the course: Do not grow weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest if you do not give up.

In other words, when you want to unstrap the seatbelt, eject yourself from the ride, and call it quits, God says, “Hang on! I’ve got something great for you just up over the next loop-the-loop and highest hill! Rider, remain seated until this ride has come to a complete stop!”  At which point you will look back over the adventure and say, “It was so worth it!”

There are 2 songs that I just love. They encourage me to hang on and keep doing what God has called me to do. Give them a listen and they'll give you a lift!
     *You Deliver Me by Selah
     *Overcomer by Mandesa

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!