Monday, October 20, 2014

Wives Are A Treasure (Part 3)

In the same way wives must submit yourselves to your husbands, so that if any of them do not believe God's word, your conduct will win them over to believe.  It will not be necessary for you to say a word.
1 Peter 3:1

By now hopefully you have had enough time to look up the many words and verses describing how a wife should treat her husband.  I used to want to fix my man and I used to think that I would have to change him by running my mouth about what he should or shouldn't be doing.  This study was not to highlight the things that your husband is doing wrong because I am sure we can all agree that it takes two to make a marriage work.  And in this verse above Peter stated that just by changing our conduct we can win them over to believe.  I take this scripture very seriously, although my actions don't always show it.  So often I thought that my husband would only know God personally if I kept telling him what he needed to do, and how he should be doing it.  But this life changing statement from Peter made me realize that I am not in charge of anyone but myself and that if I want my husband to know Christ better then he would have to know Christ through me.  My actions don't always mirror Christ's but Peter reminded me that talk won't get me anywhere like changing my actions and allowing my husband to see Jesus in me.  So many scriptures refer to wives submitting to their husbands.  Submit means to accept or yield to someone's authority or will.  And yielding to someone means to give way to them.  So God is telling us to accept our husbands will and give way to his arguments and ideas.  We should be selflessly letting our husband lead our family because he was put in charge by God.  God wants us to show him our love and respect through our actions, giving our men courage and confidence to stand up and lead.  If we are constantly putting them down or telling them what to do then they won't have the confidence to do what is right when troubles call nor will they have the desire to spend time with God if we are always knocking their ways or telling them how good we are.  

Today spend time with God and get real with yourself about the things you could change in your marriage.  Don't think of the things you don't have control over, like your husbands annoying habits or what he could be doing differently.  Think only of the things that you could do today to look differently to him.  Believe that what Peter stated is true and offer it up to God.  Ask Him what you could be doing to make a good example for your husband.  Let Jesus show in you and quietly lead your husband to Christ through your actions.  And let us not forget to encourage each other!    

Dear God,
Thank You for Your Word!  I can learn so much about You when I closely read the bible and I am blown away by Your faithfulness to lead me.  I don't deserve Your patience with me.  Thank you for giving me guidance in my marriage and for drawing me closer to You through this study.  Help me to see the things I need to change and show me how to change them.  Give me strength to put down my selfish desires and to submit to my husband's will.  I want to live obediently and I desire to look more like Jesus Christ so that my husband will be drawn to You.  In Jesus' Name......Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!