Thursday, October 30, 2014

Let Go

"Anyone who comes to me but refuses to let go of father, mother, spouse, children, brothers, sisters - yes, even one's own self! - can't be my disciple.
Luke 14:26

As a foster parent I get asked all the time, "How will you ever give her back?", my answer usually always includes trusting God's plan and that it will not be easy.  But who ever said being a disciple of Christ was easy?  As I read this scripture I am reminded that anything or anyone I put in front of my loyalty to Christ is a hinderance to my discipleship.  I can't follow Christ if I am following someone else or putting someone else in front of Him.  I will end up following that person instead, or making decisions based on my feelings for him or her, instead of what is right through God's eyes and what is being asked of me in Christ.  I can't be an effective foster parent if I let my love and affection for these beautiful children get in the way of God's plan for me and them.  No one can follow two masters (Matthew 6:24).   

Is there someone in your life whom you tend to hold on to so tightly that they get in the way of your discipleship.  Do you place your spouse, child or parent in a higher position than Jesus?  Are you unwilling to let go of them, trusting them in the hands of God?  I will admit there are days I don't want to let go of my foster child and there are days I don't want to let go of my spouse or children and I will find myself always thinking thoughts that are not aligned with God's will.  I will put their feelings in front of God's commands and find myself disobeying Him, taking myself outside of His will and discipleship.  None of this is easy especially if you are a woman and mother.  We are uniquely made to care for our children and spouses.  We want to control every situation so as to protect them and fix their hurt and the things they do wrong.  But today I am reminded of the importance of letting go.  If I can't let go of my foster child then I am not a disciple of Christ.  Yes it hurts like crazy to think of the day she will leave but it would hurt even more knowing I was putting someone else or even my own self in front of the amazing Man who died on the cross so that I could live my life free from sin and eternal suffering.  Today I am hit in the face with this hard reality that I have to let go of everything I want and follow the One who gives me everything I need.  My dear friends I hope this does not deter you but draws you closer to God and to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  It isn't easy.  Following Christ is a daily choice.  A daily death of our wants and desires, stripping ourselves of all things hindering our walk with Christ.  Being a disciple means letting go.               

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!