Monday, March 31, 2014

Stop Fighting!

Don't repay evil for evil.  Don't retaliate with insults when people insult you.  Instead, pay them back with a blessing.  That is what God has called you to do, and He will grant you His blessing.
1 Peter 3:9-10

For any of you who have driven the eighteen plus hours, to Florida from Indiana, in a packed car, with more than one child, you know what this scripture is all about.  My friend had text it to me during the week of vacation having no idea how I would desperately need it, on my way home, as I was playing referee to 4 children crammed in the back seat of our car.  I felt like this was the theme of our return home.  As a mom, the one thing that really disappoints me is when I hear my children yell at each other and put one another down.  It hurts to hear them throw insults back and forth!  As a pregnant, younger me I envisioned my children to be best friends.  I dreamed of them one day helping each other, playing nicely together and having one another's back.  Although still a dream of mine, reality has snuck in and I since remember my own childhood.........even smaller cars, packed with more stuff, driving 20 plus hours to Florida with a super dad who never stopped for bathroom breaks.  

Praise God for new technology and my phone app that has amazing devotions on it, and every bible translation I could ever ask for!  As we were on our way home God knew exactly what I would need to help my children get through their drive home, and even more, He showed me a thing or two about my own life:

Listen, God!  Please, pay attention!  Can you make sense of these ramblings, my groans and cries?  King-God, I need your help.  Every morning you'll hear me at it again.  Every morning I lay out the pieces of my life on your alter and watch for fire to descend.  You don't socialize with Wicked, or invite Evil over as your houseguest.  Hot-Air-Boaster collapses in front of you; you shake your head over Mischief-Maker.  God destroys Lie-Speaker; Blood-Thirsty and Truth-Bender disgust you.  And here I am, your invited guest - it's incredible!  I enter your house; here I am, prostrate in your inner sanctum, Waiting for directions to get me safely through enemy lines.  Every word they speak is a land mine; their lungs breathe out poison gas.  Their throats are gaping graves, their tongues slick as mudslides.  Pile on the guilt, God!  Let their so-called wisdom wreck them.  Kick them out!  They've had their chance.  But you'll welcome us with open arms when we run for cover to you.  Let the party last all night!  Stand guard over our celebration.  You are famous, God, for welcoming God-Seekers, for decking us out in delight.
Psalm 5:1-12 The Message

This is all I needed to understand how to handle a situation just like what my children where putting each other through.  I could read this to them and use this drive as a teachable moment.  As I read this scripture over and over I could also hear God say to me, "You can do this!  Give these people to Me.  Let me take care of those who hurt you and call you names.  Let me handle the people in your life who annoy you, and you just continue to love them."  So as I would say to my children I also would say to you and me.  God wouldn't want us to get revenge.  God wants to do our "fighting" for us.  He is ready to take care of those who hurt us, and lie to us.  God has plans for the people who make fun of us and who are evil.  He just asks us to pay them back with blessings, to keep on loving and in return we will receive God's blessings and more!  Just ask my kids, the task is not always easy.  As having "sat back" a time or two,  I understand how hard it is to sit there and let someone say things that you wish you could defend yourself from, I have also seen the work God can do without my "help" or interfering.  So next time you are tempted to get revenge or your children are in a boxing match, pull out your bible and recite these scriptures over and over until the urge subsides and you are able to see straight :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!