Thursday, March 20, 2014

Ginger


Then God said, "Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us.  They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground."
Genesis 1:26

I was convicted this morning as I looked at my dog who sat on the floor watching me with those eyes that asked the question, "Are you gonna help me?".  Encouraged by her wagging tail that was nothing but limp just hours before, I realized that she, like me had feelings.  She was a creation of God and as I thought of that I recalled early in Genesis that God commanded humans to rule over all the animals.  

Let me back up a little and share with you my crazy night last night that included running over my dog in our driveway.  She is a small dog, who since she was born, barked at tires and liked to chase the car down the driveway.  She has always been very good to get out of the way and has managed, for almost 3 years, to stay out from under the tires.  Last night her luck ran out and as I heard her barking and crying out in pain it processed in my brain that the thump I had felt under my tires was our family dog.  As my family has grown over the last year and a half and our life has become way busy I have to admit my love for my animals has diminished some.  Yes I'm still a sucker to let her sleep in my bed and I most definitely talk to them when I am home alone, but I'm not near as emotionally attached, with 5 kids to take care of.  

I know I'm not going to get any votes for animal lover of the year, by saying this, but my initial response was to put my dog out of her misery.  The thought of vet appointments and all the money involved with getting her healed was not something that was planned into our budget this year.  I have enough going on and plenty of kids to keep healthy so nursing a dog back to health was low on my priority list.  Well I saw the reaction on my kids' face when I told them she may not make it, I had to feel them out and warn them of the possibilities since in the back of my mind she was all but dead.  As I was feeling them out I felt God doing the same with me.  

God began to convict me of His command saying we should care for all of the animals of the world.  When I opened Genesis I was reminded that, just like each human baby born is a miracle, every animal was a miracle creation of God.  At that moment I knew that we needed to give our dog a chance.  As I remembered a devotion I had just read the day earlier stating that we need to be faithful in the little things, I understood that I was being tested in that very area.  I knew Gods command to care for His animals but I did not want to listen, and I realized I was picking and choosing the things from God's Word that I wanted to apply to my life.  And that, my friends, is not being a totally committed follower.  I quickly had to ask forgiveness and hand over my will.  So as I type, my husband has Ginger at the vet awaiting xray results and lab work.  Time will tell how she recovers but I will love that dog with all I have because God says so.

Care for the flock of God entrusted to you.  Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly -  not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. 
1 Peter 5:2

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!