Friday, March 7, 2014

Not Afraid


artwork by Patrick Laurent

I was listening to the radio one day and heard the song Believer , by Audio Adrenaline, that immediately caught my ear. It started out with these lyrics: I want to live this life unsafe, unsure but not afraid. I thought about the meaning to this statement and immediately grabbed hold of it to represent my life. I understand that life is unsafe. Yes, our salvation is protected by a God who loves us but the world around us is not safe. As a christian I am not exempt from a life of unfortunate circumstances. We are not safe from ridicule or the choices of other people. Life, unfortunately, is just not always safe. My life is also very unsure. I never know what the next day is going to hold let alone what will happen in a month or year from now. Life is unpredictable and we never know what cards we are going to be dealt. We don't usually have the privilege of knowing, in advance, the troubles or excitement heading our way. We live a life with a future that is very unsure. But, in the midst of these words that seem so bleak and scary we can live unafraid. Just because we are not certain of what the next moment or day will hold we can keep on living with confidence that whatever circumstance we face, we have God to walk us through it. We have God to make good from the bad. We have God to praise when we are blessed with great things! Friends, just because we are unsafe and unsure doesn't mean we are to be afraid! Yes some adventures are scary. There will be situations that we face in which we are uncertain of its outcome and that can be scary but God says, "Be Not Afraid". Just because we face a scary illness, a scary job loss, a scary temptation or a scary future without that loved one, we can still live unafraid. Something scary does not have to paralyze us. With God, an unsafe and unsure future should not keep us from moving forward!

I trust in God so why should I be afraid?  What can mere mortals do to me?  Psalm 56:11

Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor the arrow that flies in the day.  Psalm 91:5

"Don't be afraid, I am here."  John 6:20

"Don't be afraid.  Just have faith."  Matthew 5:36


   

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!