Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Go To God

"I will comfort you there as a child is comforted by it's mother."  
Isaiah 66:13


We have a new baby in the family.  He is a sweet 8 month old baby boy and we just adore him.  My children just love to play with him and talk to him like he has been here for ever.  He is very pleasant and aside from being sick, he has been very easy to care for.  He doesn't complain much and seems to be pretty content in our home.  His smile is contagious and his voice so gentle and innocent.  Until his most recent illness, he has been very independent and in fact wants nothing to do with cuddling me.  This is hard because as a mother of 3 children I love to cuddle.  Two of my three were rocked to sleep every night and I have never been one to let my kids "cry it out" for too long.

You could say he isn't used to me yet and doesn't trust me and that would be a very likely reason for his independence.  I might also say that he is just that way, like my youngest son, and wants to go to sleep in his own bed with no one to bother him.  But after two long nights, in the very early morning hours, as I held him in my arms and he finally snuggled into me I imagined myself snuggling into my God.  I, like this sweet baby boy could be very independent when I was feeling well.  When things are going my way and I feel healthy and confident I don't always choose to snuggle into God.  It usually takes some sleepless nights and a few less than perfect circumstances for me to fall to my knees and need hug from my Father.  I thought of us all and how we love to be cared for and held, but so often we are too busy to go to God for comfort and cuddles when are coasting along and don't need that hug or encouragement.  I also imagined how I felt when I couldn't console my crying baby and the frustration and sadness that overtook me when he wouldn't let me comfort him.  Does God feel the same way when we don't go to him every night before we drift off to sleep?   Is He disappointed when we only go to him when we are in desperate need?  Does he feel unwanted or unneeded in those moments when we are doing fine on our own?  Does he feel taken advantage of when we only come to Him in need?

Dear friends, there is no such thing as an independent Christian.  We must go to God every day, in the good and bad times.  He, like so many nurturing mothers, wants to rock us to sleep every night.  He wants to hold us when we are happy and feel our arms wrap around his big, strong neck.  He longs for the touch of his beautiful children just like I longed for the trusting look and touch from my new baby.  God loves us and wants to be loved by us!  He wants to be there for our every need and every celebration!  If things are going good for you right now, go to Him.  If life is hard and you need a break, go to Him.  Don't wait another moment.......get used to cuddling up with God on a regular basis.






        

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!