Tuesday, March 4, 2014

An Olympic Christian

Remember that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you will win. 1 Corinthians 9:24



Are you an Olympic Christian? I know, I know! You're brows are furrowed and your mind is stirring to figure out what I'm talking about right? This verse made me think of the recent Olympics. There were so many competitors! The opening ceremony took hours just to allow each one to make an appearance. Each athlete had trained, spent endless hours and countless dollars, sacrificed, and had the same goal in mind… a gold medal! I totally am amazed every time on Olympic athlete rises to the podium and gets silver or bronze yet their face bears that look of failure. I'm thinking,"What? Are you kidding me? You're the second/third best in the world! How can that feel bad?" It feels bad because they had a goal. Gold! And nothing short of gold will satisfy their hard work and the desire to have attained that ultimate prize. 

I too competed in this past Olympics in some ways. I read articles, I watched some of the events, and I even knew a few of the athletes names. I could have tried out!  I mean I can skate a little. I could ski (if I wanted too!) With some practice, I could probably even manage a trip downhill on a snowboard. But, I really don't want to do any of those things. I'm content just to be a spectator!

That's how our Christian life can be also. I can go to church when it's convenient,  attend Bible study here or there, maybe even read the Bible on occasion. I could be a bronze medalist in my faith. But this scripture says we aren't to settle for bronze when the gold medal is available! Our faith as Christians takes sacrifice, dedication, and training. We need to have accountability partners, we need corporate Bible Studies (intense sessions), and weekly worship within a community of believers. We need private prayer and devotional times. We need times of confession and times of all out praise! This walk is hard and the time we choose to invest will determine our relationship with God. Sure, you can go for bronze. But my question is why? Why would you settle for less than the best that God has to offer? He has store houses full of gifts to give his children. He has unlimited love, grace, and mercy. 

The choice is ours! I am not competitive on any level. I'm athletic enough to get by if I have to play. But when it comes to my walk with Jesus, I don't want to settle for anything less than Gold! So the question is now posed to you… Do you want to be a spectator Christian? Are you aiming for bronze? Or will you devote your life to the Lord fully and Go For the Gold? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!