Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Don't Judge!

So don't make judgements about anyone ahead of time - before the Lord returns.  For he will bring our darkest secrets to light and will reveal our private motives.  Then God will give each one whatever praise is due.
1 Corinthians 4:5

It is so tempting to judge others!  So often we are doing it without saying a word, the way we look at someone, or avoid someone.  The way we talk about this or that person like we are above them or how we just can't understand how he or she could do something like that.  On thing I have learned through fostering is that I am no doubt going to run into a parent who I just don't understand.  It breaks my heart to hear the stories from friends and see with my own eyes the hurt and destruction parents can cause.  But judging them is not my job.  Heartbroken...yes, playing as if I am better than them and treating them without the same love I would offer my best friend...God says no.  I want to say no and I try my hardest to follow but inevitably judgement will slip out from time to time.  It isn't easy holding back our thoughts about a person who is not acting as they should, but one thing I have learned in this long process is that when someone is doing something I don't think is right it is most likely because he or she is sick or lost.  Judging this is wrong because most likely they are so lost they don't know right from wrong and it is never our job to decide.  We have our own problems, although they may be invisible to us or seem small compared to many, God says sin is sin and the gossip I just spewed from my mouth or the negative thoughts I had about the lady in the checkout line, those are all no different than a big sin like abandon my children or getting drunk every night.  

We can all have too much confidence in ourselves and hold private motives that we may not even recognize.  But be sure that God will bring those to the surface someday soon.  So today I challenge you all to think God before you think or act on your own.  Stop and remember the mercies that have been handed to you over the years.  The things you have been forgiven for and the hurt you have caused.  Think about the the mistakes you have made yourselves, and in your moment of wanting to judge, instead thank God for being your only judge.  Praise God for the forgiveness He offers you and and the unconditional love that you are given, and rely on Him to take those judgmental thoughts from you.  We will never be perfect but we can always strive to be.  And remember no-one will ever be perfect not the waitress in the restaurant, not the pastor in your church, not the parent down the road, not the teacher in your school, not the police officer in your community, not the friend sitting next to you.........No-one!  

Dear God, help me with this topic today.  It is usually never my intention to judge someone, but in talking with someone, or in my thoughts, I sometimes end up doing so.  I don't want to think I am better than others and I don't want to hurt you by hurting your children.  Show me how to confront sin without judging the person who is sinning.  Show me how to love like you, unconditionally.  Show me where I fault in this area, expose my darkest secrets and private motives so that I can work on myself instead of standing back judging where everyone else has gone wrong.   I thank you for your forgiveness and mercy!!  Let your Spirit dwell in me and offer that same forgiveness and mercy and patience to others.  In Jesus' Name   Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!