Thursday, April 30, 2015

Are You Approachable?

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. (‭1 John‬ ‭4‬:‭18‬ NIV)

A friend of mine had made a costly mistake. Yet none the less it was just that, a mistake. It wasn't sinful. It harmed no one but it was a mistake. She was so worried about how her husband would respond. My heart ached for her fear of telling him what she had done. It was then that I thought of this verse. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. (‭1 John‬ ‭4‬:‭18‬ NIV)

God is a God of love. He disciplines us, yes. But his discipline draws us in to love him more deeply.  It never sends us running in fear or with our tail tucked between our legs. God doesn't shout at us, call us names or shake his head in disgust at the poor choice we made. He gently draws us in and slowly lets us unravel our mistakes with his tender love and guidance.

My friend's situation made me really pause and think about my approachability.  Does my husband know that I will listen to his mistakes and not be angry with him. Do my kids know that if they fail a test or strike out in the ballgame I will not be disappointed in them but rather will encourage and lead them to do better the next time. I wonder if my friends feel safe to tell me their mistakes so we can pray together and seek God's guidance and grace. How will I know how others feel about my acceptance and approachability? I'll have to ask. This will be tough. It will surely take a humble heart and a willingness to be changed.

How about you? Are you approachable?

Dear Lord,
Give me a heart that is humble. Help me to change where I am not approachable. Show me how to love more like you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!