Saturday, September 6, 2014

Think Before Judging

Give to others and God will give to you.  Indeed, you will receive a full measure, a generous helping, poured into your hands - all that you can hold.  The measure you use for others is the one that God will use for you.
Luke 6:38

A am guilty of judging others too harshly.  I am guilty of judging others by appearance.  I am guilty of judging others when I don't know all the facts, and today I see the pain I cause myself when I fall into that judging trap.  God loves us unconditionally more than we could ever imagine and it says in this scripture that when we give to others God gives to us.  We could stop reading and listening at this point and assume if we are good people and serve others, help the poor, share our belongings and offer our time then we will be given rewards in heaven and blessings here on earth.  But as we continue reading, giving good things brings good things, but giving bad things or not giving at all will bring on that same judgment for ourselves.  If we are stingy with our possessions, not sharing them, then God will be stingy with His possessions, wisdom, strength and whatever else He decides to withhold.  If we are quick to judge someone God will be quick to judge us, and believe me I need all the patience He can give me!  Does this change God's love for us? No, but it does change the amount and type of blessings we receive.  Just like in life, most actions bring on a reaction or a consequence and the same goes here.  If we want to judge someone harshly, or give them little grace the same judgment will be used for us.  If we decide to withhold forgiveness then the judgement we use on that person is the same we will receive from our loving God.  Hey, aren't we always complaining that life isn't fair?  Here is an example of God's fairness.  The golden rule sticks in this moment......we shall treat people the way we want to be treated. 

Dear God, forgive me for all the times that I judged unfairly.  Help me to recognize those moments and put an end to my quick and unfair judgement.  It is my desire to receive more blessings than I can hold and so I will rely on your wisdom and strength to change my heart to be more like You.  Amen     

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!