Monday, September 29, 2014

But I Did it Anyway :(

Grandchildren are a delight! They are sweet and precious. They can melt my heart in an instant! But they can also test the limits and at the same time teach me a lesson or two! In order to share this story with you, I have to have you imagine the scene.
Emma (now 2 1/2) is sitting at the bar, and we are singing "Jesus" songs as I prepare lunch.  Her little hands move as we sing This Little Light of Mine. She is delightful as her pigtails bounce along. The phone rings. It's my husband sharing a story of his weekend. Instantly, Emma scoots over and begins yanking on the water faucet; All the while she knows she's not to be doing this, but she thinks I'm preoccupied! I walk over and push the faucet off. She turns it on. I turn it off. Each time she asserts a little more attitude in turning the water on. This continues about 4 times. Not wanting to interrupt my husband's story, without a word I wrap my arm around Emma's waist and lift her from the stool. I'm anticipating a fight, but she pulls her feet up, holds onto my arm with her sweet hands, and says, "Yep, I going time-out." I stifle a laugh, and yes, we head to time out.
She knows the rule about the faucet. She knows that Grandma expects her to listen. Yet, she did what she wanted to do even though she knew there would be consequences.

How many times, have we, like Emma, been willfully disobedient?

Dear Lord,
"Search me, God, and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!