Thursday, September 25, 2014

But it was true...

Excuses. We all have them and try to use them to justify our actions, but ultimately we have to come to be willing to face the cold, hard truth. We were wrong. Let me explain further.
I was asked a question about someone. I stated what I knew to be true because of conversations and issues with this person on multiple accounts. It was first hand information. It was irrefutable because I witnessed it, experienced it, and it happened each and every time I communicated with her. And it was true of everyone else that had to deal with her.  It was truth.
As the next hour wore on, I heard a gentle whisper in my soul. "Go apologize." My instant response came, "But it was true." I tried to dismiss the nudging. After another hour, I could stand it no longer. I went to the one who had questioned me and apologized. Not because what I said was untrue, but because my words didn't build up the one I spoke of that day. And ultimately they hurt Jesus.
This act of speaking careless words taught me many things, but the greatest two I learned were these:
1. Obedience to God is essential to our peace. Prior to apologizing, my spirit was in such unrest. However immediately after saying I was sorry, I felt calm within in me. I felt close again to the Lord.
2. Humility is where God works best. I had to humble myself so much to go and admit my wrong. God has to have a humble heart. I tried so hard to harden my heart to his promptings. If I had persisted in not wanting to apologize, I would have made it even more difficult to hear him the next time. I must keep my heart tender to his words.
Scripture has a lot to say about our words. Take time today to read over these verses. Ask God to show you where you (much like me) might need to do some backtracking.

Don't bad-mouth each other, friends. Its God's word, his Message, his Royal Rule that takes a being in that kind of talk. You're supposed to be honoring the Message, not writing graffiti all over it. God is in charge of deciding human destiny. Who do you think you are to meddle in the destiny of others? James 4:11-12 MSG

But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgement for every empty word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matthew 12:36-37

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your outs, but only what is helpful for building up others according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29

Lord, Your word tells us that taming the tongue is a difficult task. Forgive us for the unkind or hurtful things we've said to one another. We want to honor you and our words hold the power to do so, but we also have the power to do great damage. Set a watch gate before our mouths this day, that we will speak only words that delight your Spirit! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!