Friday, September 5, 2014

Amid the Hum

"The gate keeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they never follow a stranger, in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize his voice." John 10:3-5

Throughout the classroom there was a hum of activity; There were the sounds of whispered voices, shuffling bodies, coughs and sneezes, and quiet giggles. A little boy raised his hand for help. I approached him and squatted down next to his ear so he could hear me without drawing anyone else's attention. He turned and told me that he didn't know what to write about today. I began reminding him of all the things we had discussed; I recounted his morning and a statement he had made to me about his weekend. I offered many suggestions. As I spoke, his eyes began to roam the room. His body slowly turned toward the child on the other side of him. So, I spoke his name. The following conversation took place...
"Davey, I'm talking to you."
"I know. I'm listening."
"No, you're not. Please turn around and look at me so I know I have your attention."
"I AM listening!"
"I know you're listening, but are you listening for MY voice? Please focus!'

WHAM! Instantly I hear this paraphrase of scripture ring through my head as I spoke those words, "I know my sheep and my sheep know my voice." (Matt. 10:1-21) I am then reminded of my morning quiet time.

I had been asking God for direction. I felt unsure of what I was to do. I felt as if He wasn't giving me any help. I was confused and frustrated.  But, as I spoke to my student I felt God echo these words to my heart..."I know you're listening, but are you listening for MY voice? Please focus!" It wasn't that God wasn't making his intentions for me clear, it's that I had gotten lost in the hum of life around me. I needed to focus!

Lord, forgive me when I lose focus. Forgive me for being drawn by the hum of activity around me and for failing to listen for your voice. Give me ears to hear you, Lord, and a heart that is willing to obey.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!