Monday, August 4, 2014

Are you in your right mind?

Now the mind of the flesh is death. But the mind of the Spirit is life and peace. Romans 8:6

   
I went to bed the other night mentally exhausted. I literally dragged myself to bed at 9pm. Why was I so tired? Simply put, I'd spent all day thinking about how God would solve a situation in my life. I ran every scenario possible. I envisioned good and bad outcomes. I contemplated who would and wouldn't be a part of the solution. It was absolutely draining. My head hurt and my body was worn out. I had lost my peace.

This scripture tells us that the mind of the flesh is death. I killed myself that day trying to play the role of God. Rather than put my trust in him and sing praises, I separated myself from Him and caused myself to mentally, emotionally and spiritually die. Yes, I knew that a mind that lives apart from the knowledge and acceptance of Christ as Lord and Savior will result in eternal death. But as I found out on this dark, heavy day, moments and hours of letting my mind run wildly can result in a form of death also. 

Walking with Jesus is a journey. It takes time, patience, and practice. As part of this journey we must learn to think about what we are thinking about. If we are mentally exhausted, chances are we are not in our right mind. We are most likely functioning in our own power and on our own will. But when we have peace and clarity, our mind is governed by the Holy Spirit. So, I ask you today, "Are you in your right mind?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!