Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Stay Where You Are


And I am sure that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again.
Philippians 1:6

Have you ever wondered why you work where you work?  Do you ever wish you were somewhere else?  Are you the type of person who is always looking for something better?  Do you hold out on making commitments until the last minute in case something better comes along?  Do you believe God can use you right where you are?  

I had a conversation with my son this weekend and God really opened my eyes to how He works. My son was committed to go to a wrestling tournament that he chose to sign up for.  On the day of the tournament he had changed his mind, partly because he gets nervous, but mostly because he was worried about missing out on playing with the neighbors.  He is my child who is always looking for the action.  He never wants to fully commit to anything because he is afraid of missing out on something.  As I sat with him and we talked, God spoke words through me.  I told my son that he can’t waist away his day thinking of the things he would rather be doing.  Yes, playing football with the neighbors was very fun and exciting but maybe there was something more to his day than backyard sports.  I continued to tell him how God puts us all in a place for a reason and that maybe there was someone God intended for him to meet that day or maybe his positive attitude would have a positive influence on someone.  There are so many possible reasons for why God puts us in places or situations.  I shared with my son that God may not want him to wrestle next year or even next week but in that moment that was God’s plan for my son.  We talked about the importance of being thankful in every situation and living our circumstances for God instead of always worrying about ourselves.  As I type this I realize that living for ourselves is why we give up and wish we were someplace else.  When something doesn't seem appealing or when a place doesn't sound fun to us we will most likely leave or avoid the situation never once thinking about the others involved or the reason God put us there in the first place.    My son loves wrestling but the pressure of winning scares him.  Because the thought of losing in front of all those people is not a pleasant thought, he will chose to run.  I shared with him that it’s not all about him and that maybe some of the things he was learning and accomplishing, through wrestling, were the very things God needed to teach him for a career as a professional football player, an architect or a daddy.  The place God was taking him that day would be just one building block of many experiences what would grow him into the man God dreamed him to be.  I get tears thinking of this because it is a concept that I never thought of before and I had never discussed with my child.  I knew, in that moment, God had me where He needed me and He used me......spoke right through me, to my son, who needed Him. That is Our God!!!  

I don’t know what he took from that talk but I do know that was one of the first times I saw him smiling on the wrestling mat.  I truly believe he just needed to know that morning that God had a purpose for him.  So I guess what I want to share with you today is to be happy right where you are.  In most situations, God has us right where He wants us.  He wants to use us where we are and grow us in that very moment.  Something you do today may not be used for many years to come but God is always working for His Kingdom and He will continue his work in us!  Don’t miss the wonderful experiences along the way!            

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!