Saturday, November 16, 2013

Are You Willing?

The verses that I wanted to share are preceded by a small, but powerful statement. In the message it says, “To you who are ready for the truth,” and in the NLT it says, “But to you who are willing to listening.”

The words that Jesus was about to speak were words that not everyone in the crowd was willing to hear. They were words that could only be appreciated by those who had found the grace and love of God. They alone would be able to take these words in and find them refreshing and beautiful. To the rest of the crowd they were absurd. They went against both natural instinct and cultural norms.  

Jesus was asking those who chose to follow him to die to themselves. He wanted radical, out of the ordinary, over the top love in action! Read on... if you are willing to listen!

To you who are ready for the truth, I say this; Love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer for that person. If someone slaps you in the face, stand there and take it. If someone grabs your shirt, giftwrap your best coat and make a present of it. If someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously.”

“Here is a simple rule of thumb for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you; then grab the initiative and do it for them!  If you only love the lovable, do you expect a pat on the back? Run-of-the-mill sinners do that. If you only help those who help you, do you expect a medal? Garden variety sinners do that. If you only give for what you hope to get out of it, do you think that’s charity? The stingiest of pawnbrokers does that.”

“I tell you, love your enemies. Help and give without expecting a return. You’ll never-I promise-regret it. Live out this God created identity the way our Father lives toward us, generously and graciously, even when we’re at our worst. Our Father is kind; you be kind.” 

“Don’t pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults- unless, of course, you want the same treatment. Don’t condemn those who are down; the hardness can boomerang. Be easy on people; you’ll find life a lot easier. Give away your life; you’ll find life given back- given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting is the way. Generosity begets generosity.”     Luke 6:27-40 MSG


Never once did Jesus say, “Be weak. Be a doormat.” He wasn’t saying, “Please allow the neighborhood bully to strip you of all pride and dignity.”

But he was saying, “You are loved by my Father. I will gladly bear your burden of sin without one word of whining on my part. I will be beaten, mocked, and abused both verbally and physically for you without even the slightest hint of a sarcastic comeback. Oh, and I will also do it because I choose to do it out of my love for you. You don’t owe me a thing. But what I do desire is that you learn to love me and to love others the way I’ve loved you. Learn to love completely unselfishly. Look only to the value of knowing the Love my Dad and I have for you. Let us show you what’s really important. Quit fighting for your own rights. If someone takes something of yours remember that I gave it to you in the first place. When someone is rude to you, smile and be kind. You often act the same way to me, yet I don’t growl back at you. My love for you never changes. I will not give you what you deserve...that’s my mercy. But I promise to give you more than you deserve... that’s my grace. Now, get to know me so I can teach you how to live a lover's life!”

We choose to treat others with love, real Godly love, because we understand these 2 things about ourselves. We fall horribly short of perfection. We are loved perfectly in spite of our flaws. 

If these words of Jesus sound crazy to you, then draw closer to him and learn the way he does business! If you hear his words and find your heart saying, “Yes, Lord!” fall to your knees and thank him for the way he has touched your heart with his amazing love, grace, and mercy. 

No one wants to be cutdown or talked to rudely. But the only power you have to change these situations is to change the way you respond. We always have the choice to respond in love or “give ‘em what they deserve.” If you’ve chosen to follow Jesus, then you must be willing to follow him and learn to respond in love. 


Just ask him to teach you! He’s more than willing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!