Wednesday, November 27, 2013

God's Advice For Imperfect Me


I know I distressed you greatly with my letter.  Although I felt awful at the time, I don’t feel at all bad now that I see how it turned out.  The letter upset you, but only for a while.  Now I’m glad - not that you were upset, but that you were jarred into turning things around.  You let the distress bring you to God, not drive you from him.  The result was all gain, no loss.
Distress that drives us to God does that.  It turns us around.  It gets us back in the way of salvation.  We never regret that kind of pain.  But those who let distress drive them away from God are full of regrets, end up on a deathbed of regrets.
And now, isn’t it wonderful all the ways in which this distress has goaded you closer to God?  You’re more alive, more concerned, more sensitive, more reverent, more human, more passionate, more responsible.  Looked at from any angle, you’ve come out of this with purity of heart.........
2 Corinthians 7:8-12 msg

I hate to admit this but I’m not perfect.  Shocker I know! l even write a blog and try to tell others how to respond to God’s call but I myself get it wrong all too often.  I say mean things to my husband when we are in disagreement, I lose patience with my kids, and I am selfish at times, just to name a few of the several.  I am learning a very tough lesson today on my behavior from a previous discussion I had with my husband the other night.  It was one of those where he told me what I was doing wrong and I was all too quick to show him what he was doing wrong.  We have these healthy discussions from time to time as I am sure so many of you do.  This particular time I heard God speak so clearly to my heart.  Shortly before 6 this morning He showed my exactly where I was wrong and it wasn’t easy to swallow.  I had to choke down my huge piece of humble pie way too early this morning and I’m still getting tastes of it throughout my day. 





After wrestling with my thoughts over my husband and all the things I wish I would have said, most none being very caring, I got these words from my daily scripture on my bible app:  
“Don’t pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults - unless, of course, you want the same treatment.  That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging.  It’s easy to see a smudge on your neighbor’s face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own.  Do you have the nerve to say, ‘Let me wash your face for you,’ when your own face is distorted by contempt?  It’s this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part.  Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor."  
Matthew 7:1-5 msg 

After I read it, I knew right away it was God speaking to me.  I swallowed hard and couldn’t even muster up one good excuse for myself or one good argument for defense.  I was guilty and I knew it.  But, guilty as I was and as ugly as I felt (spiritually and physically.....it was 6 AM!) I was full of praise.  I was so blessed to have that time with Him!  He chose to speak to me and even though it was’t exactly what I wanted to hear He loved me enough to tell me what I needed to hear.  Perfect love does just that!  God’s perfect love will correct me when I need correcting and He will encourage me when I need encouraged.  Because I am walking closely with Him and I spend time listening for Him to speak I was able to take His advice as just that.  A kind, honest word from a friend who loves me and cares about who I am.  God wants better for me and He isn’t afraid to tell me even though what He has to say might hurt.  

We have a choice when we are presented with the gospel. Just like the opening scripture above, God’s Word or wisdom from a godly friend, can encourage us to get closer to God and “straighten up”, or we can selfishly choose to let it push us away.    We can open our hearts and ears to the message we are given and use it to change a problem area of our life or we can let it run us further from God.  Like the people of the church in Corinth, I chose to let God’s Word draw me closer to Him.  Like Paul’s letter to his friends, God’s message to me wasn’t all snuggly and warm, the things Paul told them were hard to swallow, as were the Words given to me this morning.  My prayer for you today is that you really listen to what God speaks to you when you sit down to pray and read the bible.  I encourage you to lay down your will and let God direct you, shape you, and mold you into the person He wants you to be.  Take His instructions as you would advice from a friend.  Don’t be quick to run or make excuses just feel His nudging on your heart and let Him change you.  It isn’t easy, I know!  But, the peace that comes from knowing you have a God who loves you enough to care about even your smallest little character flaw, is peace to carry you a long way!  God loves who you are and loves who you can be!  See what He can do with your life and the places He can take you when you listen to His advice. 

Dear God, thank you for lovingly correcting me this morning.  Please forgive me for my sin and help me to be a better wife and mother!  Don’t ever stop teaching me and showing me my faults.  Speak to my friends today and show them one thing you would like to see them change.  Draw my friends closer to you and shape them into the beautiful people they were designed to be!  I praise you God for being forever faithful to me and for your wonderful advice!  I love you! Amen and Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!