Saturday, April 26, 2014

Gentle Restoration




Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. Galatians 6:1 NIV


Live creatively, friends. If someone falls into sin, forgivingly restore him, saving your critical comments for yourself. You might be needing forgiveness before the day's out. Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ's law. If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived. Galatians 6:1-3 MSG


I received this verse 3 times this week from 3 different sources. Definitely there is a message here God wants me to know, and I need to get it figured out… Now! Yes, a dear friend of mine has fallen into sin and is struggling to find her way out. How then, do I gently restore her? I started by looking up the words restore & restoration. They mean to bring something/someone back to its original pure state, often leaving it better than it began. 
I imagined my husband restoring a car. Imagine this scene with me. He buys a car broken down and beaten up. Day after day he walks around the car examining it. Pondering what it looked like in its former condition. 
     Noticing the intricacies and beauty that once captured the creators detailed eye. Envisioning it fully restored; he sees it sparkling and all heads turning as he tools down the highway. This vision will drive every decision he makes in the process of restoration. Then out of nowhere he kicks it and says, "You messed up. You're falling apart. I can't believe you allowed yourself to be driven like this. You need to get it together!" No! Of course not; he certainly wouldn't point out the flaws. He wouldn't add more damage. He'd gently run his hand over the dinged up fender. He'd be excited at the engine and the details of all that went into it. He'd see the stains on the seats and the rips in the fabric, but he'd replace those with beautiful new covers. He'd spend hours and hours just loving on that car as it was restored one piece at a time. 

    As I now think about restoring my friend, I see my own mistakes as I've tried to help her. I thought pointing out her flaws would help. I did it in a kind manner. I was gentle with my words, but little did I know they were totally unhelpful. She knows where she's sinning. I thought pointing out scripture would give her basis for change. Why didn't I realize I was kicking flat tires and adding to her pain? What she really needs is a friend who can stoop down and gently lift her up; she needs a friend who is strong enough to walk along side her in her sin yet not get pulled into it herself.  I need to be that friend who sees the radiant beauty that God originally created in her. I need to hold the vision of who she was created to be, so that she has a partner to help get her where she's needs to be.  I need to praise the attributes that are beautiful and replace the broken ones by speaking life into those areas. I need to simply love her as I live my own life, not trying to fix her but building her up by just being me. The Spirit will gently restore her as I just love her! What a freeing feeling! Lord, bring on your loving restoration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!