Thursday, April 17, 2014

Be In Prayer

When he came back to his disciples, he found them sound asleep. He said to Peter, “Can’t you stick it out with me a single hour? Stay alert; be in prayer so you don’t wander into temptation without even knowing you’re in danger. There is a part of you that is eager, ready for anything in God. But there’s another part that’s as lazy as an old dog sleeping by the fire.”
Matthew 26:40-41

I've experienced this Peter moment in my own life.  Things at home are going good.  My friends are all in a good place with no real big issues requiring help or encouragement.  The sun is shining and warm weather is fast approaching.  Extracurricular activities are in full swing and I feel like I live in my car.  Today I had just squeezed some quiet time into my day and began praying about my focus.  I felt like I was distancing myself from God, not having as much time with him during the days as I was used to.  As soon as I opened my eyes, and looked up from my prayer, God handed me the scripture above.  I read the helper in my bible that seemed to speak to me in all bold capital letters:
TEMPTATION STRIKES WHERE WE ARE MOST VULNERABLE
Right then it hit me.  Time management and a busy lifestyle are my weakness. I love to help people and I love spending time with my spouse and kids.  I know it sounds bad calling them weaknesses and maybe that is too harsh a word but they are the things that satan can use against me to keep me too busy for God.  And I'm not saying family time is a bad thing but not knowing when to say no to an activity or event makes me vulnerable to satan's attack on my quiet time with God and, like Peter, I end up falling asleep.   

In these seasons of my life I must take Jesus' advice and "stay alert and be in prayer".  I found that my feeling of being distant from God comes from my lack of prayer and my laziness to keep my quiet time a priority.  In the moments that business occurs and things are going on all around me I choose to join in instead of insist that I give God even just a little time reading His Word and praying.  In the heat of this, I am vulnerable, and satan has an open door.  I have every intention to stay close to God but I just don't get it done.....I put Him off another day.  

What are your vulnerabilities!  What area in your life do you leave an open door for satan to come in and attack?  What puts you to sleep and leaves you defenseless?  Pray today and keep close to God!  Stay alert and be watching for those things that satan will take advantage of. 

Dear God,
Show me my vulnerabilities.  I don't want to fall asleep and become weak in my faith.  Never stop pursuing me and drawing me close to you.  Help me to keep my focus on you and protect me from satan's attacks.  Keep me strong in You

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!