Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Choosing Persecution and Suffering

But before all these things take place, however, you will be arrested and persecuted; you will be handed over to be tried in synagogues and be put in prison; you will be brought before kings and rulers for my sake.  This will be your chance to tell the Good News.  Make up your minds ahead of time not to worry about how you will defend yourselves, because I will give you such words and wisdom that none of your enemies will be able to refute or contradict what you say.
Luke 21:12-15

No one wants to volunteer for this kind of trouble, or do they?  You see, this warning to Jesus' disciples was a warning for us, as well.  We are living in the moment Jesus speaks of in this scripture.  And all the while Jesus was giving them grave images they were determined to stick by Him.  One might ask why, but we all know what it feels like to really love someone be it a parent, friend, spouse, sibling or child.  Who would  deny that love to get out of suffering?  Who would choose to leave that loved one's side in order to selfishly remove themselves from persecution?    

Unfortunately many of us do every day.  We see the way following Jesus will "hurt our reputation" so we choose to leave His commands.  Some are afraid of the things they will have to give up so they choose to leave His side to follow their own desires.  Losing our comfortable friends sure isn't something we are willing to chance so we leave this One True Friend behind.  Christian's who claim to love God and people are choosing to run from this persecution every day.  What did Jesus suggest we do instead?

Jesus said it confidently and clearly, we make up our minds ahead of time, not to worry.  He tells us to use this as an opportunity to tell the Good News.  We take a stand for God and we stick by His side choosing to turn all of our suffering into God's Glory.  Don't be afraid of suffering for your Father God, and Friend Jesus.  Spend time with Him and let God give you the wisdom and words to handle these tough situations.  

I won't lie, my life situations bring about suffering.  At this very moment my thoughts are trying to drag me away from my place of peace and it's a choice every day to stay positive and trust that my God is bigger.  When I can share with you, or someone I run into at the store, I am given the opportunity use my struggles and suffering to Glorify God.  He is faithful to pull me through every time and give me perspective and strength to persevere.  It doesn't happen overnight and it isn't easy but when I made my decision to live for God I made up my mind ahead of time not to worry about how I would defend myself.  

Dear God, this suffering is real and it's not fun but I trust in you to bring me through.  Give me wisdom and strength to stay by Your side.  I don't want to leave you anymore.  I don't want my future to scare me and I want to trust that You are in control.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!