Saturday, June 13, 2015

Be Changed (Day 2)

"Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him, throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which was corrupted by lust and deception. Instead let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God- truly righteous and holy." Ephesians 4:21-24

Yesterday we looked at the first steps of becoming like God- righteous and holy. We looked at the part we are responsible for in our faith- hearing, learning, and responding to the message with action.


Today we will look at the part or our transformation that God does by his Spirit. As we grow in knowledge and understanding of Jesus, we have to allow God to move the message from our head to our heart. He does this through the promptings and workings of the Holy Spirit. God places his Spirit within us to speak his word into our very being. This is one of the very mysteries of God. I can't explain for you how He does it, I just know he does because I hear and feel him myself within my own heart. When we are moved by the Spirit, the changes come from within us. Where originally we were making a decision in our own mind about what to do and when to do it. Now, a transformation is taking place, and we are responding to God through the movement of His Spirit within us.

For far to long I lived in an incomplete faith. I heard, learned and acted according to the knowledge in my head.  However, it wasn't until I took God's message and made it personal that I was able to respond to the Spirit because the Spirit functions from within my heart changing my desires, convicting me of sin, and helping me sustain the changes by strengthening my convictions and offering me the wisdom of God. 

The process is cyclical. We continue to hear, learn, act, and be moved by the Spirit on our newfound understanding. Don't get short circuited. Continue reading, hearing, and acting. Ask God to help you recognize the Spirit's work within you so that you are ready to receive and respond to His desires.

Lord,
 This passage calls us to change. It calls us to know your word so that we can respond to it and allow your Spirit to work within us. Help us to remain faithful to reading, learning and doing all that you ask of us. We ask a special prayer today that we become more aware of the Spirit's promptings and desires for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!