Wednesday, January 8, 2014

GOD'S PLAN

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

I’m sure you’re familiar with this verse from Proverbs. It is a verse that is quoted quite frequently and of course it is absolute truth. But until tonight, I’ve not looked into the verses surrounding it. Read this verse in context.

This is what the LORD says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you, “declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. you will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the LORD,and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from the place which I carried you into exile.”

God had a plan for his people, the Israelites, from the very beginning. They were the way in which he would reveal himself to the entire world. They were a wondering people. And because they chose to do things their way, they ended up being given over as captives to the Babylonians. The LORD, however, had a plan for his people and that plan could not be thwarted. Delayed yes! But never stopped or changed. It wasn’t until the people were broken in their captivity that they would turn to God, call his name, and seek to find him. It was at this point that they would find him and he would free them. God would then gather up his children and bring them back from all their wanderings. He had a plan and nothing was going to stop it!

This is the way God still works today. He works for us a creation, a nation, a family, and as an individual. He has a plan! What is that plan? Very simply, that plan is for us to recognize his existence, call out to him to be delivered from our captivity to sin, and then seek to find and know him. It’s the same plan that has been in place from the very beginning. 

I had written a few days ago about brokenness. It is a process and not a one time event. But no matter what detours the process involves, the end result is still the same- relationship with God through Jesus. I used to worry that I could mess up God’s plans. I feared that every decision I made could keep me from getting where he wanted me to be. Well, this verse assures me that God is not worried about where or when I find him. His only plan is that I find him! Yes, he would rather I open my heart and mind to receive him early, but when I make a mistake, he doesn’t change plans!

Some people find a deep relationship with the LORD at a very young age and serve him fully their entire lives. Others find him on their death bed. It doesn’t matter when it happens because all of heaven rejoices either way! The sad part is that the longer we wait to acknowledge his presence, the more blessings we miss. He wants good for us as we travel this life on earth. It is a result of our choices and the choices of generations before us that cause us harm.

I’ve always wondered if I should have been a missionary, or if I am teaching at the right school, or did I have the correct words in a certain situation. But this verse assures me that where I am is perfect. God is ready to meet with us wherever and whenever. The choice is ours! Don’t wait another day to look for him. He wants to deliver you from your captivity and set you free! If you are a wanderer, we can relate. If you are hearing God say, “Come to me.” Do not delay! As with the Israelites, God was continually calling to them. They got busy with life, and his voice grew more distant. If you are hearing him call to you today it is a gift! Don’t let shame, fear, or uncertainty keep you away. 


We would love to pray for you or help you find the person who will guide you on the next step in your journey. Comment, question, or privately email us. Our email is godfirstfriends@gmail.com   I know this is for someone because my heart is being stirred by the Holy Spirit to add this at the end of this blog. Dear friend, I love you and God is so waiting for you to turn and seek his face!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!