Friday, January 10, 2014

Gift of Encouragement


Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.  If one person falls, the other can reach out and help.  But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. 
Ecclesiastes 4:9,10

I was lead to this scripture this morning.  It is one that I think of often, especially when I am with my GFFs.  I just love thinking of the strength that two people have as opposed to one.  I have lived both sides of this scripture and have experienced it’s greatness first hand.  Friends are a gift from God and they play a huge role in the strength and peace that we possess in hard times.  Friends are supposed to encourage one another, and help one another (1 Thessalonians 5:11).    

I had a friend text me today with a slight panic in her tone.......yea I really couldn’t hear her but her frustration was definitely transferred through the text.  Any way, she had a slight panic moment and I was able to be there for her.  Her issue sounded like a big deal and I felt for her because I didn’t like the thought of her in distress.  I was able to send her some encouraging words and scripture references in attempt to calm her down and help her to focus on God in her situation.  I chuckle now just thinking of her because she is such a beautiful, sweet hearted woman......the thought of her in any distress or panic is hard to imagine.  But yes, we all have a panic mode!  

I was reminded of that during our brief textersation.  (By the way.....I so thought I made this word up and was quite pleased with myself until I looked it up and it is actually a word found in the urban dictionary.)  She was thankful for my words.  It made me think of myself and how easy it is for me to encourage others.  Like the old saying, “Easy for you to say”.  When I’m not the one in trouble or having the bad day it is easy to look at my friend and be positive in her situation.  I can look at her problem from an entirely different perspective.  I can see God in the picture and speak words of peace and hope.  I love to speak life into someone else's tragedy because I want nothing more than to calm that person and give her hope.  In fact, I often worry that I am too positive and come across as insensitive.....something I pray about often and apologize for ever now and then. The tables turn when it is my turn to panic or get discouraged by my circumstances.  My own words don’t sound near as calming.  There have been days that I have literally said one thing to a friend and in that same day she is repeating the same thing back!  It’s like I can’t hear myself talk!  Comforting words don’t sound the same coming from our own mouth.  They are much more comforting when a close friend speaks them to us, in love.  

On a day when I am discouraged or afraid, I can believe in the hope and piece that come from encouraging words or scripture picked for me, from a friend, easier than I can believe the things that I would say or read from the bible.  Yes, I know that God and His promises found in the bible are words to live by.  I understand that they should be all we need.  I have personally experienced His words and feeling so alive by the promises and acts of love displayed.  I get the hugest smile on my face every time He speaks to me through devotions or scripture.  Yes God is a great encourager, and I would never compare Him to anyone else.  But there is something special about a sweet friendship that displays love and compassion.  A friend who truly cares.  From the beginning God knew we would need friends when we entered panic mode.  He knew the power that a special friend possessed.  Someone who could be His servant and speak His love.  God knew what He was doing when He gave us God First Friends.......yes, yes!  

Dear God, help me to always be aware of my friends’ needs.  Guide me in warning the friend who is idle, encouraging that special friend who is timid, or helping a friend who is weak in faith and keep me patient with everyone (1 Thessalonians 5:14).  Keep my eyes and ears open to those I see today and lay on my heart those who need encouragement.  Give me the right things to say and the opportunity to share.  I thank You for Your awesome words of encouragement and the beautiful friends You have brought into my life.  In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen              

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!