Thursday, January 16, 2014

God First Friends? Part 1



I arrived at Bible Study last night exhausted on all levels: emotionally, physically, spiritually, relationally. I could have chosen not to go, but I knew I needed to be there. I knew because God tells us that where 2 or more are gathered in his name, he will be there also. (Matthew 18:21) I needed a good dose of God.

We began our time together and our discussion was serious. Issues on our hearts were heavy as we lifted up situations and scripture. We talked about how to handle situations in a godly way and even corrected each other for errant thinking. Do you have a friend that you love and trust that much; a friend who will correct you in love when you are wrong? God thinks its important. I know this because Proverbs 27:6 says, “Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.” Not only do we need friends who will tell us when we have something stuck in our teeth, but we need friends who will confront us in our sin and in our wrong thinking. We all need God First Friends!

What is a God First Friend? Well, when our group began, God put it on my heart to write a contract. A contract defining the meaning of a GFF. Each goal (in bold) is based on the scripture that follow it. I’ll show you parts of the contract both today and tomorrow. Then, perhaps after some prayer, you will want to gather your men/women and focus on becoming GFF’s!

Here are the first 2 parts of the contract: 

I am a God First Friend! I will seek to put God first in my life by continually studying His Word. I will walk in relationship with Jesus as my Savior and my Friend.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.   Deut. 6:5-9


I will live for God alone and base my life on His truth. I will prayerfully speak the truth even when it is difficult, ugly, or unpopular. When I lay down at the end of the day I will enter sleep with God's peace in my heart because I have walked in right relationship with my Lord, and my actions will reflect my decision to live as a follower of Christ.

On the contrary, we speak as those approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please people but God, who tests our hearts. 1 Thessalonians 2:4
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15


See ya tomorrow for the rest of the story and more details on how to be a God First Friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!