Monday, August 10, 2015

Turn Away From Evil

But God’s truth stands firm like a foundation stone with this inscription:  “The Lord knows those who are His,”  and “all who belong to the Lord must turn away from evil.”  
2 Timothy 2:19

I remember the D.A.R.E. slogan when I was in middle school, many years ago.  We were taught to "Just Say No" to drugs and alcohol.  It is a good concept, and a catchy phrase to remember, especially in that split second when a child is forced to choose between right and wrong.  "Just Say No" has helped many kids understand the dangers of drugs, but as I associate it with this scripture, I am seeing that it isn't always enough to just say no.

In the Merriam-Websters dictionary under the phrase "turn away" several verbs are listed.  AVERT which means to see coming and look away or avoid.  REJECT to refuse to accept, consider or submit to.  REPEL to fight against or resist, to drive away or discourage, to be incapable of adhering to or mixing with.  Turning away is more than saying no to something we know is wrong.  Turning away takes boldness, strength and discipline.  God knows the temptations that come with sin, and He commands that we don't even give it the time of day.  We can't even let our minds go there, or our bodies take one step towards sin.  The temptations can become too great and we would allow satan too much power over our mind, especially if we are too weak in our faith, or we are not disciplined enough to "Just Say No".  Yes, God will always be right there to help us in our need but sometimes we put our selves in places where His voice is barely heard and His influence on our decisions is pushed to the side.  Sometimes we are safer to have a plan of turning away before we get too far.    

Turning away means we don't even watch that movie that encourages adultery and we don't entertain the thought of having sex before marriage.  It may mean we turn off the songs that sing about getting drunk or we walk away from a gossip circle. Even our friends may have to change if we are serious about turning away from sin and evil.  And only we can truly know what trips us up and what we are in danger of falling into.  

Dear God, help me to see my weaknesses and know when I should turn away.  I want to stay away from all temptations and not make it harder on myself by sticking around.  I don't want to fall into sin because I am too weak to "Just Say No".  Give me courage to turn away from things that are wrong and the things that can trip me up.  Give me strength to trust in you and not conform to the world.  Give me discipline to turn away.  In Jesus' Name....Amen 



No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!