Wednesday, August 12, 2015

I Used To Wander

I used to wander off until you disciplined me; but now I closely follow your word.
Psalm 119:67

I was encouraged yesterday by this simple scripture.  As I was reading from Psalm 119 these words popped out at me and encouraged me to keep building my relationship with Jesus.  This scripture describes who I was a few years back, before I really knew Jesus and before I understood His character.  Before I started spending time reading the bible I never really did anything to change my life or behaviors.  I claimed my salvation and I had pretty good morals, but I never thought before I acted.  I didn't rely on prayer to lead me and I most certainly didn't have patience to wait on God's voice to direct me.  I was like this description, "I used to wander off until God disciplined me".  I would make choices based on my knowledge and I would do things out of selfishness or worldly understanding.  I rarely thought about what Jesus would do in a similar situation and I never went to the bible for answers to my problems.  I was on my own, just wandering in my own knowledge stopping only when God redirected me (a nice word for discipline).  As I have grown, my tendency is to closely follow God's word and let Him guide me.  I try to do the godly thing before the discipline comes.  No, I am not perfect every time but I see the growth and it encourages me to keep on going.  I am excited to spend time with God in the mornings.  I want to learn knew things and make the right choices based on His teachings.  

Dear God, thank you for this encouragement and help me to keep seeking you.  As daily "stuff" competes for my time, help me to stay focused on meeting with you daily.  Keep growing me as I learn to live God first instead of me first.  I don't want to wander anymore but be strong in your knowledge.  Help me to be patient and wait on your direction instead of going off on my own waiting for your discipline.  Most importantly, Lord, I want to know you.  I want to know everything about you and live a life that mirrors Jesus Christ.  I love you, Amen       

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!