Friday, August 14, 2015

The Thief

The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy.  My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.
John 10:10

We are God's sheep.  We know the voice of our Good Shepherd and as the gate opens and He calls us by name, we follow as He leads us out into new, greener grass.  We don't recognize the voice of strangers, in fact, we run because the voice is unrecognizable (John 10:3-5).  I have to apply this thought to my own life and recall the times that this unrecognizable voice tried to lie to me and direct me on the wrong path.  Even now, as a more mature christian, I am caught off guard by this voice and it sends me into confusion if I don't quickly counter it with the voice of Jesus. In John 10:8, Jesus said that all who came before Him were thieves and robbers but His true sheep did not listen to them. 

This question I ask you, I ask myself, as well.  Do you know Jesus' voice?  Do you know Him so well that when satan comes in to steal, kill and destroy you can counter the voice with Jesus' voice?   Any words that condemn you, make you feel less than, or unworthy are all words that we should recognize as lies from satan.  Jesus would never talk to us that way.  These hurtful things, and deceptive lies are all just trying to steal our joy, and peace.  This thief is working to kill our hope and destroy our faith.  Occasionally he will tell us "nice" things but that only leads to sin in the end. His sole purpose is to hurt us and make us as miserable as he is.  This thief is a jerk and we should run when we hear his voice.  His voice changes often with the weather and so it is unrecognizable.

We are trained to follow one voice.  To respond in obedience to this One voice that is our savior and friend.  So why do we let this stranger, this thief,  have a chance!  Why don't we run from this unrecognizable voice sooner?  We should only trust the voice of Jesus who is working in us and for us on His plan to give us a rich and satisfying life.  Friends, next time you hear a voice that doesn't follow Christ's character or a voice that is spewing lies and hurtful things at you run away as fast as you can!   

Dear God,
Thank you for your kind, loving words.  Thank you for your strong and reassuring voice that I can recognize easily.  I don't ever want to forget the sound of your voice. Please give me strength to stand tall and run when I hear an unrecognizable voice.  Help me to counter the lies with your promises, and give me energy to run to you.  Open the gate for me, dear Jesus, call my name and I will follow you.  Amen        

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!