Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Listen To Them Carefully For Yourself

Then he added, "Son of man, let all my words sink deep into your own heart first.  Listen to them carefully for yourself.  Then go to your people in exile and say to them, 'This is what the Sovereign Lord says!'  Do this whether they listen or not."
Ezekiel3:10-11

When reading scripture I often have no trouble applying what I read and learn to another person's life.  I may have a friend who is hurting so I easily see where God's word could be used to encourage her heart.  I may know someone dear to me who is not living as he should and so I can apply God's word to the sin in his life.  I have even listened to a sermon and wished a certain person was there listening with me because I know it would be of good encouragement or rebuke.  Why is it so easy for us to apply His Word to someone else's problems but when it comes to our own we so easily forget?  I struggle with this often when I don't have a lot of "things" going on in my own life, when I'm not desperate for His Word to help me with a situation.  

I believe this scripture is saying to apply His Word to our own life first.  He wants His Words to sink deep into our hearts so that we understand them before sharing them with others. We need to know where God's promises come from and we need to apply them in all areas of our life so that we are living examples of Christ followers.  We are to listen to His Words because they are dialogue between us and Him, and whether something can be applied directly to an issue in our life, or not, it is still very useful.  We can easily hold it in our hearts until an issue arrises.  

God was sending Ezekiel to talk to the people of Israel and give them His warning of the destruction that awaits if they don't get their lives turned around.  Ezekiel had a big task and in fact many of the people would not hear a word he said, but God still insisted that he go and share His message.  If Ezekiel had not applied God's instructions to his own life then the things he was about to share would have less of an impact.  If we aren't applying what we believe and know to be true in our own lives,  when we try to share it, no one will listen.  We would be less effective if we were telling people to live one way and we were living another. 

Dear God, help me to understand your Word and apply it to my own life first.  I want your Words to sink deep into my heart and I want to live them out so that when you give me opportunities to share my life will be a living example.      

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!