Monday, August 17, 2015

Time To Do Some Weeding

Because we have these promises, dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body or spirit. And let us work toward complete holiness because we fear God. 
2 Corinthians 7:1 NLT

I just weeded my flowerbeds a little over 2 weeks ago, and yet today it was again time to do some weeding. I'm not exaggerating when I say some of the weeds were to my mid thigh. It was absolutely ridiculous. 

As I looked at the flowerbed I had to determine which plants were weeds and which were flowers. I then had to start pulling the largest weeds and gradually the next layer of weeds appeared. Finally, I had the weeds pulled well enough to see the ground cover type weeds that lurked on the surface. Just when I thought I was finished, I glanced back over the area where I had recently weeded. I literally said out loud, "What! Where did you guys come from?" There, spattered throughout the bed were tiny little weeds just waiting for a chance to spring up and take over once again. It was then that I was reminded of my verse for today:

Because we have these promises, dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body or spirit. And let us work toward complete holiness because we fear God. 
2 Corinthians 7:1 NLT

It doesn't take long for sin to spring up in our lives. And if left unattended, it can begin by blending in with our regular activities. This scripture tells us to cleanse ourselves of everything that can defile our body or spirit. We do this by reading scripture, talking with fellow Christians, and taking action to quit and remove our sinful habits. 

Sins, like weeds, can appear in layers. It's easy to see glaring sins like adultery, murder, or stealing. But just removing 'the biggies' from our lives doesn't cleanse us of sin. It takes more weeding. Talking with fellow Christians, reading of scripture and prayer to become aware of sin so we can take action. Like some weeds, they've been around so long, we think they belong in the flowerbed. And don't forget those tiny ones waiting to sprout up again!

Dear Lord,
Help me to cleanse my life of sin. I desire to live for you, pure and holy. Teach me your holiness as I seek to remove the weeds of sin from my life!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!