Monday, August 24, 2015

Don't Be Too Late!

I slept, but my heart was awake, when I heard my lover knocking and calling:
"Open to me, my treasure, my darling, 
     my dove, my perfect one.
My head is drenched with dew, 
     my hair with the dampness of night."
But I responded,
"I have taken off my robe.
     Should I get dressed again?
I have washed my feet.
     Should I get them soiled?"
My lover tried to unlatch the door, 
     and my heart thrilled within me. 
I jumped up to open the door for my love,
     and my hands dripped with perfume.
My fingers dripped with lovely myrrh
     as I pulled back the bolt.
I opened to my lover,
     but he was gone!
     My heart sank.
I searched for him
     but could not find him anywhere.  
I called to him 
     but there was no reply.
          
                           Song of Songs 5:2-6

As I witnessed two hearts brimming with excitement over their union as one this weekend I am drawn to my own marriage and that amazing feeling I first felt when I could refer to the love of my life as my husband.  The newness of love and life together brings so much joy! 

Recently I was challenged to read Song of Solomon.  I will be the first to admit I have not been loving my husband as I should.  I won't deny that I have taken my marriage for granted.  I just assume my husband will always be there.  With 3 children (and extra's from time to time) life can get so busy and days can go by so fast that we can find ourselves miles apart in the same home.  Especially as our kids get older, we each have several things occupying our mind and schedules that demand our being apart.  We have come to accept this as our normal and we adjust to make it all work.  As I read the beautiful words of love and adoration between two lovers, this passage really catches my eye.  I see myself on this page, as I've used my selfishness as an excuse to be lazy, putting off intimate time and time to just spend getting lost in my husband.  I don't want to be too late!  I don't want to take for granted this man whom I have made a beautiful life with.  Unfortunately the world does not always encourage love between a husband and wife.  The world teaches us to be selfish and demand our wants and desires over others.  It keeps us busy and apart from each other and, in fact, works against our union.  How then can we keep our marriage strong in a world where satan is working overtime to destroy us?  

Well, I don't exactly have that answer for you but I am determined to find in it my own marriage and search for what works in my situation to keep the fire burning.  I want to challenge you to dive into what God says about love and commitment.  Read Song of Solomon and let it reignite that spark you once had for your spouse!  No matter your age, no matter where you are in life, God wants your marriage strong.  There is so much more to being married!  So many beautiful surprises and special blessings waiting.  Don't settle for anything less than God's best! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!