Monday, August 31, 2015

My Past Does Not Define Me!

Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 
2 Corinthians 3:17



Today I attended the baptism of a teenage family member. The service was beautiful as those being baptized gave their stories. Yes, they each gave 2 stories. One before knowing Christ and another after receiving him into their lives. Many shared stories of sinful pasts, lives lived in fear, or lives spent feeling empty. Now their stories held hope and joy. They smiled as they told about reading the Bible and praying. 

As they came out of the water, I couldn't help but think that their public proclamation declared their freedom. Freedom to be who God created them to be in Christ! As I stood on the hillside watching, I kept thinking, "My past does not define me!" 

I've sinned and often the consequences of my sin have followed me into my future. Shame knocks on the door of my heart wanting to come in and bring me down. Guilt seeks a place in my mind threatening my peace. Although I didn't get baptized today, I made a commitment in my heart to shut down the lies that beckon to be heard. It's time to let the past go. It's time to come out of the water, free and clear!

Do you need to let your past go too? Today is the day! Christ set you free and your past does not define you. In him we are new. When we seek forgiveness, it is graciously given. God puts our sins as far as the East is from the West, so we should too! It's not a feeling. It's a choice. A choice to believe that God's forgiveness is real. That his presence in us is the mark of a new life. Believe this to be true because God's word is truth and his truth is this...

Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 
2 Corinthians 3:17


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!