Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Life Among The Weeds

And the seed that fell in the weeds - well, these are the ones who hear, 
but then the seed is crowded out and nothing comes of it as they go about their lives 
worrying about tomorrow, making money, and having fun.
Luke 8:14 MSG

This scripture reminds me of my old life, the life I lived before finding an accountability partner and developing an intimate relationship with Jesus.  I went to bible studies and attended church.  I read christian books and volunteered to help with church activities.  I wanted to do the right things in life and I thought being involved and going to bible studies would get me right with God.  At one point in my life I knew that there was more to life than just being a participant.  I finally realized that I had to take the things I learned from the bible and make them part of my every day.  Until then I was like the seed that fell in the weeds.  I heard the Word through books, bible study and church but I would leave those places and let the world, and my life crowd it out.  Nothing came of it!  I didn't let God's word change me or affect my choices, I just heard it with my ears and left it there.  It took a conscious decision and effort to start letting God into my ever day.  It wasn't natural for me to trust Him with the little things and turn to Him for guidance.  I had to slow down and place Jesus in my presence.  I had to invite him in.  I still forget some days and can easily start to feel like I'm being choked out by life, by the weeds that can consume a person, but I am quicker to turn back.  I am doing more than just hearing God's Word, I am letting it become my basis for living and decision making.  And that, dear friends, is the difference.  So many people hear the Word but they don't let it penetrate their hearts and minds.  They don't let the Word transform.  They start out healthy and pretty but as the weeds begin choking them out they get overwhelmed and loose their strength.  They start to get smaller and sometimes even die because they are overtaken by the weeds of life.  This was me and I don't want to go back to this place ever again........and so we pray

Dear God, Your Word is a lamp unto my feet and light unto my path.  Your Word is my guide in life.  Don't let me hear your Word and walk away from it.  I don't want to be like the seed that falls among the weeds.  I want to grow strong and flourish and become beautiful in Your wisdom and in knowledge.  Help me to slow down and allow Your Word to transform my life.  In Jesus' Name  Amen          


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!