Monday, February 1, 2016

Intended for Good

We could all point to someone who hurt us intentionally. We don't have to look too hard into our past to find that one or more people who put us into a pit by their actions or their words. But today I stand in awe of Joseph's grace and forgiveness. Of his love and trust in the Lord.

Joseph's brothers were jealous of him and hated him. They plotted to kill him and threw him in an empty pit. They 'kindly' chose not to leave him for dead, but rather sold him into slavery. Joseph then was made a slave to Potiphar. Thrown in jail on false accusations of rape where he spent 2 years for something he didn't do. One ugly event lead to another ugly event all because of hatred and jealousy.

Yet, when the time came that Joseph had the upper hand and could seek revenge, here is his response...

But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good and to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children." And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them. Genesis 50:19-20

Joseph knew that God is sovereign and trusted that even the bad situations inflicted by others would be used for good.

Oh, friends, how I need that kind of truth, grace, and forgiveness in my life. But honestly my wounded heart is not quite there yet. A great wrong was committed and now I have the choice- to offer the grace of my Savior that I accept for myself every day or retaliate. I pray that the grace and love of Jesus will overpower my heart and make me as humble and broken as Joseph.

What about you? Do you need to join me in praying for your heart to offer grace instead of retaliation? Do you need your heart to be reminded that God will use all pain, intentional or otherwise, for our good?

Dear Lord,
Forgive me for the anger I feel in my heart at the one who committed injustice. Help me to hate the sin and not the sinner. Remind my heart that you can and will use all things, good and bad, for my good because I love you. Lord, I want a heart like Joseph because Joseph has a heart like you. Hear my prayer today, Jesus, and soften the cold, hard places in my heart. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!