Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Bond Between Brothers and Sisters

Keep on loving each other as brothers and sisters.  
Hebrews 13:1

If you were a fly on the wall, in my house, I promise you would get an entertainement packed evening, for sure.  There would be no consistency to the plot of what was going on, as if you were watching a movie, no, you would get a wide variety of entertainment from empathy, honesty, nasty, nice, loving, caring, hateful, annoying and a lot of other things.  My kids can be so loving to each other but within minutes they can be so mean.  What was the author talking about when he told his friends to keep on loving each other as brothers and sisters?  As a mom of 3 of my own and foster kids coming in and out, if I didn't know any better, this scripture might really confuse the heck out of me.........oh who am I kidding, today it does!  It has made me think of all the children I have in my home right now.  I have been visualizing them in my mind trying to figure them all out......what makes them mad, happy, sad, secure, confident........I try to figure out their similiarities and their differences and help them to all live together peacefully in those differences.  I try to encourage their similiarities and spur them on towards loving actions.  Some days this is way more difficult than others.  Lately, I won't lie, it's been difficult.  It makes me think whoever wrote this letter had no idea what it was like with 5 kids at home.  But in all sincerety I do see a bond in siblings that cannot be broken.  My own children have been brought up to know their worth in God's eyes.  They know how much they are loved and they are reminded every day about loving each other and caring for each other.  And in my foster children I see a strong bond, as well.  I have also witnessed that bond between my children and foster children.  They all have tendancies to argue, and fight........they all can make poor choices to be mean and disrespectful, but at the end of the day they love each other greatly.  They can even say the dreaded words, 'I hate you', but each knows deep down it isn't true.  I don't know how God made us to have relationships and I have no idea the map of a relationship between a brother and a sister, but in most that I have seen and experienced, they are all built on a strong bond.  One that will not be broken easily.  

So how does this scripture apply to us?  As Christians we all have a special bond.  A special God who we call daddy, and a saving brother we call Jesus.  We are bonded together as if we were born of the same parents.  We are to keep on loving each other through the hard times, the mean times, the fights, the hurt, the sickness the addictions.......our love should never stop.  Our bond should never be broken regardless of what the circumstance is.  We should love each other as brothers and sisters because that is the love that trumps any other, our savior, our brother, made the hugest sacrifice ever to bring us all together and we should never forget that.  We should always remember that Jesus died so that we could all love each other well, and forever.  It may not look pretty at times, it may be difficult but it is possible!  And never forget that a bond of love is not easily broken.  Sometimes honesty hurts and sometimes a gente rebuke is needed, but that bond, if anchored in Christ Jesus, will last.  There may be time of distance but loving a brother or sister means we always find our way back into their bedroom, their game, their movie, their fun.........if we are willing to love, the possibilities are endless!  

I can't say that I am perfect in this area.  Especially trying to convince some 8 through 11 year olds that love is special, and it is the only thing God asks of us, and that sometimes we might not like what a person does but our love should never end................but I can share what I know with you, and pray that someday I can get through to my kids ;)  I hope that you will think of love differently today.  I hope you will look at your Christian brothers and sisters with new eyes.......eyes to love them, accept them, help them and respect them.  I hope that with the Holy Spirit's help you will feel that special bond you hold with them and that your love will be extended just a little farther.       

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!