Thursday, July 30, 2015

Holy Words

"Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. With it he touched my mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for." Isaiah 6:6-7

Isaiah was a prophet of God. He had just seen through a vision, the beauty and holiness of God. In reverent fear, Isaiah expected to die because in seeing God's holiness, Isaiah became more aware of his own sinfulness. As he cried out in fear, a seraphim (angel) touched Isaiah's lips with a hot coal, pronouncing Isaiah's lips as clean and holy. It was not the coal that cleansed Isaiah, rather it was God himself that offered Isaiah cleanliness.

As I read this passage today, I had to think that I too am a woman of unclean lips. When I get upset, I often say things I shouldn't. I repeat things that aren't mine to repeat. I laugh at jokes or comments in which God would find no humor. It is my prayer today that God forgive me for the things I've said or the inappropriate laughter that has passed over my lips.

Ephesians 5:3-4 in the Message Translation says this:
"Though some tongues just love the ease of gossip, Christians have better uses for language than that. Don't talk dirty or silly. That kind of talk doesn't fit our style. Thanksgiving is our dialect."

Dear Lord,
Unwholesome talk is such a part of our culture. We hear it on the radio, see it on TV, witness it in the supermarket and even in the church parking lot. It is my prayer today that you begin a cultural change starting with me. Make me more fully aware of how I talk. When my words are unholy speak to my heart so that I can repent and correct my words. Let my words be praise and thanksgiving! Amen and Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!