Monday, March 30, 2015

Understand What The Lord Wants You To Do

So be careful how you live.  Don't live like fools, but like those who are wise.  Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days.  Don't act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do.
Ephesians 5:15-17

I started a new devotion last week.  It is titled "It Starts With Me" and was written to challenge the reader to take responsibility and live a way that reflects the values of Jesus.  I found it on the bible app, YouVersion.  (I can't praise God enough for the gift this app has been in helping me stay in the word, remember scripture, and encourage others, to name a few.)  I learned a valuable lesson on promptness that I want to share today.  I have always been late.  At least since I have had children, my internal clock always seem to be a little behind the world's clock.  I never try to be late, in fact, on many occasions, I try my best to be on time.  I have every intention to plan ahead, wake up early and stay focused on task.  But somehow I am always running out the door, hollering at the kids to hurry and I am worrying about the little time I have to arrive where I am going before my given appointment.  I have often thought of my being late as just who I was.  I never gave it too much thought and I've never felt like it was a huge deal when I was late to events and appointments.  Yes, I do feel bad if someone is left waiting on me and it is disrespectful to show up late, but those feelings have never been strong enough to convict me to change.  Not until I saw it through God's eyes.  

When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.
Romans 5:6

I have always known that God's timing is perfect.  I share that beautiful truth with friends and I count on it in my own life.  It is a hope we all hold tightly to, God will always show up on time to help us in our need.  As I read His word, He spoke to my heart and I realized that God's love for me shows in His faithfulness to my needs and His perfect timing in my life.   At just the right time He sent Jesus to die for my sins!  And for the firs time I understood what I should be doing.  God spoke to me through His word and through the wise counsel of a devotion.  In the same way Jesus showed up at just the right time, I should be doing the same.  My love for others can be shown through my ability to be on time.  Just like the love of Christ showing up at just the right time to save us from sin, or God's ability to lift us up right when we need Him, I am expected to show up on time to share my love and respect for others.     

I learned a valuable lesson, or was at least reminded, of the importance of staying in His Word.  In order for me to understand what the Lord wants from me I must read the bible.  He has special orders for us all and we will never know what they are unless we are speaking to Him and studying Him.  His timing is perfect and what He says to me may not be what He speaks to your heart, but we will never know until we commit to Him.    Now that God has spoken to my heart I know what I must do, what I must start working on.  Do you know what you should be working on?  What is God speaking to your heart?  

Dear God, thanks for your perfect timing.  I am so blessed to have you looking after me and guiding me every day.  The ways you grab my attention are perfect, just for me!  Keep my eyes open to your signs and wonders, keep my ears open to your Word and my heart open to your conviction.  I love your patience for me and the love that you continuously share with me.  Your desire to make me all that I can be is amazing and I only hope that I can follow you forever, and understand what it is you want me to do.  In Jesus' Name  Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!