Thursday, March 19, 2015

Pack LIght

Tomorrow we leave for Florida! A Spring Break vacation we've been anticipating for a long time. As I'm preparing to go, I not only work on preparing to go, I am preparing to leave. What I mean is that before I load up the van and get ready to head out, I want the bills paid, the fridge cleaned out, the laundry caught up, loose ends at work tied up and the house tidied up. It takes a lot of time to be ready to leave. Getting all of these things in order has left me little time to pack.

I love how God can use the little moments in life to speak to us as he did to me this morning. I was pondering what to pack in my suitcase and the words 'pack light' ran through my mind. Yes, that's it. I need to only take what is necessary. We have a washer and dryer available, so there's no need to take extras. We don't have plans that require specific clothes, the girls will have things I've forgotten, and I can re-wear outfits. Yes, keep it simple, pack light!

And about that time I thought of this scripture:
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith." Hebrews 12:1-2

What is it in our lives today that is hindering our relationship with Christ? What is keeping us from a full commitment to him? Do we need to remove some things from the suitcase of life? An unhealthy friendship, an added committee at work or even church? Do material possessions need to be sold so that financial burden and time spent on maintenance can be better spent with Christ or on his works?

The Christian walk is not easy, and we do not need added stress and burdens as we make this journey. God is faithful to show us where we need to realign and simplify our lives. Ask him today and then carefully listen for his direction. He has work for us to do that requires time and energy, so 'pack light'  for the journey!

Dear Lord,
Your word says that if I need wisdom I should ask and you will show me what I need to know. I need to know how to simplify and clean up my life. Lead me today to unpack the unnecessary things in my life. Show me where I need to let go. Give me courage to make the changes that will help me live for you more fully.
In your name I pray,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!