Monday, November 17, 2014

Sacrifice (Part 1)

Good morning, GFF!

I was singing a song in church that began with the words, "We bring a sacrifice of praise into the house of the Lord..... we bring a sacrifice of Thanksgiving." As I sang, the words rang over and over in my heart. I started having questions about what it meant to offer a sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving. I felt God nudging me to explore this with him more. I could start by sharing what he's shown me, but one goal of GFF is to get you to go deeper in your relationship with God, to get you into the Bible. So today, I encourage you to see what word God has for you about sacrifice. Here's how I will be searching and perhaps these ideas will help you have a conversation with God as well.

1. I choose a topic that I want/need to know more about. Today let's look up 'sacrifice'.
2. I open my Bible to the concordance at the back and look up all scripture related to sacrifice. I'll look those passages up and read them. When I feel something jump out at me or stir my heart I go deeper in that particular chapter or book.
3. Sometimes there are reference on the right or left side of the passages. These are related passages and can lead you to more information.
4. I like to use biblegateway.com. It's a search for scripture. I often look up a dictionary meaning of the word also.
5. I make notes as I read and then pray over them asking God to help me understand them deeper. I then meditate on them throughout the day. God will help unravel the questions and details as we stay focused on the topic. He will draw my prior knowledge and add to it the fresh word he's spoken, bringing a deeper understanding. Oh, and usually more questions!

I hope you'll join me in this study. Spend a few minutes reading about sacrifice. Join me tomorrow, and I'll start sharing what he's teaching me.

Ok, to make it a bit easier on you, click these links and it will take you to some related scriptures on-line.  Click here to read scriptures related to 'sacrifice'
         Click here to read a dictionary definition of 'sacrifice'.

Dear Jesus,
We thank you this morning for the sacrifice you gave for us. Lord, we want to understand the meaning of sacrifice as it relates to our lives and our relationship with you. Help us to dig deeper over the next few days to see what it means to offer ourselves as a spiritual sacrifice. In your name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!