Saturday, November 8, 2014

"But, I will do it!"

Nothing is more frustrating to me as a mom than to ask my children to do a simple task such as putting away their laundry, gathering up their things, or getting their homework done and then hearing in response to my request, "I will." What that says to my mother ears is this, "Yeah, yeah, I hear you and when I'm good and ready I'll think about doing what you've asked." Delayed obedience... my greatest mom annoyance!

Today as I read Luke 9:59-62, I feel Jesus saying the same thing. "Jesus said to another man, "Follow me." But he replied, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God." Still another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family." Jesus replied, "No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." 

Jesus was not opposed to funerals or telling a family goodbye before one left to serve him. What he was opposed to was delayed disobedience. I am assuming the father in this passage wasn't yet deceased and the one who wanted to say goodbye was actually buying time before he committed to following Jesus. But, Jesus knew their hearts. They were only partially committed.

However, Jesus demands radical, sold-out, over the top, immediate obedience. He doesn't want us to delay. He doesn't want half-hearted followers. We may not know exactly every step that we are to going to take, but Jesus wants us stepping forward. If he has set a vision in our minds, a person in our thoughts, an action for our hands, or a ministry on our hearts, then we need to keep moving forward not waiting for the perfect moment or day. We step forward knowing that if we are mistaken he will stop us or redirect us. We step out being focused on the end goal of creating disciples for Him. And along the way, we do what is asked of us. Jesus wants steadfast, focused, diligent, committed disciples who obey right away.

Dear Lord,
Forgive me for the times I have allowed the world around me to distract the call you've placed on my heart. Forgive me for pursuing my own agenda over yours. Teach me to keep focused and trust you enough to obey immediately. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!