Monday, December 2, 2013

Sin's a Slippery Slope

As I read yesterday’s blog, I was reminded of a lesson God taught me about sin during a home improvement project too! A few years back, my family and I were working outside. With the warmth of summer, the pond had grown a mossy carpet throughout most of the deep end and all of the shallow. It came up easily as we raked and pulled it from the pond. You could stand in a small area and just wind the moss around your arms. It took a lot of trips to the beach where We then loaded it onto the trailer to haul it away.

As the day wore on, we became tired and the project seemed never ending. I had the great idea of using my entire body to wrap up the weeds. I wound some around my legs and began to pull stringy pieces up from the bottom and wrap them around my arms. All was going well! I could make 4 trips in one! If I remember correctly I was even suggesting to the kids that they try this super idea out for themselves!

Well, things were going great until I lost my footing and began to go underwater. You see, our pond was designed on a gradual slope. We wanted our children to be able to walk out into the water and feel the water getting deeper rather than just have the bottom drop off. Well, with the weight of the moss covering my body and the slipperiness of the slope upon which I tried to get my footing, I began bobbing trying to save myself. I had to cry out for help.

It wasn’t until later that day that I felt God use my pond incident to teach me a valuable lesson about sin. Sin is a slippery slope! We begin with just a little and before we know it the weight of our sin is taking us under. It has cost us more than we intended to pay and taken us to places we never wanted to go. It’s weight is heavy and though we think we are in control of ourselves, we are ever bobbing up and down trying to save ourselves. It isn’t until we call out to Jesus for complete deliverance that we will be free of the sin forever. Yes, as yesterday’s blog states, it will be hard work. It will take training, focusing, falling, and getting back up.  But Christ is the sure footing we need. He is the solid rock upon which we can stand. So as Paul says, 

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1


If you need prayer or a friend to encourage you, please send us an email or comment anonymously if you’d prefer. We’d love to lift you to the Lord and be your support. We all need a God First Friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!