Friday, December 6, 2013

Good Gifts

If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” Matthew 7:11

As Christmas approaches, and we prepare the gifts that will be given to our family, we need to pause and celebrate the gifts that our Father has given to us. The gift of salvation through Jesus is the Ultimate Gift. Through our faith in Christ we are blessed with the Holy Spirit and the gifts of joy, peace, grace, and mercy. 
But as I went through the day praising God and thinking on these wonderful gifts, I realized that I so often overlook the gifts He gives me in the "little things". I don't know, but perhaps these are what God considers to be the 'stocking stuffers!' Here are just a few that I received today...
  • snuggling a floppy-fish, tossing and turning, 2 year old as she slept with me in the big bed
  •  waking up to messy-haired children and my handsome husband
  •  the warmth of a cozy home
  • 2 sweet grandchildren showing up at my classroom door to say “hello”
  • a simple smile from a co-worker
  • my girlfriends’ texts and words of encouragement
  • a hug from a friend who had shared a very dear God moment with me
  • dishwashers, computers, copiers, and printers that make tasks easier
  • hearing, “Hey, Mary! I love you!” from a precious teenager... in front of her friends!
  • a grumpy response that prompted me to prayer
  • my dad slipping me a Snickers bar as he sat down beside me
  • a 6 year-old wondering if Mr. Sippy was part of the -ip word family because another child had suggested "Mississippi" (translated in her young mind as Misses Sippy!)
This is just the beginning of the list. Keeping my heart in a state of praise has changed the way I see everything. I’m on the look-out for God’s work. I find myself saying, “God, I just love you!” And in return I see another blessing right before my eyes. 

How about you? Are you praising God just because he is God? Do you find that you are seeing his good and gracious gifts abundantly before you? He truly is a great and majestic God, but he lavishes his love upon us in the little things. Oh, how blessed we are! 

Dear Lord,
Open our eyes to see your handiwork. Teach us to praise you and enjoy the smallest of blessings in our lives. You have lavished your love upon us. Forgive us, Lord, as we so often rush past the gifts you’ve given. Prompt our hearts to slow down and take notice! We will forever praise your name.

Amen & Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!