Friday, August 12, 2016

Ordinary People

"But Lord," Gideon replied, "how can I rescue Israel?  My clan is weakest in the whole tribe of Manasseh, and I am the least in my entire family!"
The Lord said to him, "I will be with you.  And you will destroy the Midianites as if you were fighting against one man."
Judges 6:15-16

I have had many moments like the one Gideon experienced in this passage.  I've found myself in situations where I have felt less than.  I have told God no because of my fear and my misunderstanding.  I have refused God's call because I have thought I wasn't capable of success.  And, like Gideon, I have even doubted God and asked Him for proof that it was really Him leading me into what seemed like an impossible task.  And in reading this I have realized one thing.  The hero's in the bible and their stories that grow our faith come from people no different from you and me.  The examples that grow us and challenge us come from normal people with normal lives!  Gideon wasn't a powerful man with wealth and amazing ability.  He was like us, scared, weak and doubtful, but with faith and a promis from God, he was ready to believe that his success would come.  He was encouraged to trust in God!  And from this story we should be encouraged to trust, as well.  God is our source of whatever we need.  He asks very difficult things of us but He is always with us to support us.  Gideon may have messed up and tested God but that just proves that he is real.  We mess up too, but God still chooses to stick by us and supply the strength needed to complete His will.  

Often I separate myself from the bible.  It is a book with such wisdom and guidance that it is easy for me to forget that the people were normal.  They aren't made up stories just to teach me lessons and give me guidance.  The bible is encouragement!  Special stories of ordinary people doing extraordinary things!  We too have stories that are extraordinary.  We are ordinary people asked to do some very hard, extrordinary things, but with God we are victorious!  Be encouraged to trust God's call on your life today!  Put aside all the things against you and just trust that God is bigger!  Think on all the bible stories that have grown your faith and allow yourself to live out those stories today.  

Extra reading: Judges 6 and 7

Dear God, help my faith to not falter.  I don't want to doubt your call on my heart nor my ability to accomplish anything you might ask.  Forgive me when I question you and give me the strength to answer yes right away.  Thank you for the bible and the stories that come alive when I sit with you. 
Amen      

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!