Thursday, May 7, 2015

Servant of Christ?

Obviously, I'm not trying to win the approval of people, but of God.  If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ's servant.
Galatians 1:10

To be quite honest with you, I must say that I have not yet mastered this verse.  There are many times that I can overcome this need for approval, especially when it comes to my kids safety.  But as I look on my life, I see so many times where I should have been more concerned with pleasing my Father than pleasing the people I was with.  When the people I am with gossip and I join in who am I really trying to please?  When I see a christian friend do something that I know is wrong, and I turn the other cheek, who am I more afraid of?  I'm not proud of the many times I chose a friend, a child or even complete strangers over pleasing God, but I would be lying if I said I never did it.  The reason behind my doing this is because I am very uncomfortable with confrontation and would much rather stay quiet, and keep the peace.  I don't ever want people to be mad at me and so I will try and do everything to keep them happy.  As I read this scripture yesterday I heard loud and clear that it was time for me to reevaluate the motivation behind why I do the things I do.  I was hit square in the face with an ultimatum........be an ordinary person doing things my way and living life as I want or I can choose to do things God's way becoming His servant, working for Him, and with Him.  Unfortunately I cannot do both, there must be a choice involved and it's going to take boldness and confidence and knowing God's will in all things.  I will have to study His word diligently to know what pleases Him.  I will have to understand His character and know that my worth and approval comes from pleasing Him instead of friends and family.  It will take sacrificing my need for peace and approval in order to live up to this great task, but in the end I must believe that God will always have my back and that His approval was more rewarding and satisfying than making someone happy for a moment, because as I write this I realize that a moment is all it really is.  When we are living our lives for the approval of others it is but for a moment that we give ourselves away and then another moment and another until we are left with the realization that we are empty.  When we live to please other's, eventually we run out of steam.  

Friends, this may not be your downfall but I urge you to evaluate your days and weeks.  Pay attention to the conversations you engage in, the compromises you make and the thoughts that lie deep in your heart.  What motivates you?  Serving people or serving Christ?  I would like to say I do both but in those moments I am working to please people I am not serving Christ, I am not serving Christ, and that bothers me.  

Dear God, forgive me for the times I have tried to please people instead of serving You.  I need your help in this area......I need Your strength, Your wisdom, and a boldness and confidence that helps me speak out when things are wrong, and I most importantly need to know that you will keep me safe.  Give me peace in your love and help me to know that serving You gives me abundant life.  In Jesus' Name help me in this area........Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!