Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Put The Fire Out!

Fire goes out for lack of fuel, and quarrels disappear when gossip stops.
Proverbs 26:20

I read this verse a week ago and it still sounds in my mind every once in a while.  It finally hit me that when I say negative things about my situation or when I complain about what is happening or what someone else is doing, I am fueling the fire.  I am only hurting myself, reflecting poorly on Christianity and showing to others that I don't trust God enough to let Him rule my entire life.  When I continue to worry about something or when I can't stop talking about my negative situation, what someone said or did to me, and I continue to share that with everyone I meet, then I continue to throw that fuel on my anger and bitterness. As long as I am not willing to see things differently and trust God, I will never experience His peace in my situation.  It's not until I let go, stop talking about it and hand it over to God that I will begin to soften.  I may start to see the situation through God's eyes, and notice more than my suffering.  I may be able to point out the hurt behind the hurt someone is throwing at me or see the difficulty behind those tough decisions being made in my situation.  But as long as I continue to quarrel, gossip, have negative thoughts or speak negatively about my circumstance then I will always be angry and bitter.  I will never grow in Christ-like behavior if I can't stop fueling fires that burn in and around me.             

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!