Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Prepare for Your Prodigal

"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him." Luke 15:20

As I read the story of the prodigal son recently, I was drawn to this verse; "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him." (Luke 15:20)  The words, "while he was still a long way off" have been circulating through my mind constantly. This father was waiting and watching for his son to return. He was daily looking into the distance to see if today was the day. He trusted in God to be at work even when he couldn't see what God was doing. He never let his hope in God's redemptive power to give up. 

This dad went on living, trusting, enjoying life, but all the while, he didn't give up hope for his prodigal to return. There was no guarantee that the prodigal would choose to come home, because his son had free will. But if he chose to come home, the Father wanted to be ready for him. 
In the meantime though, the father had lessons to learn and preparations to make. He no doubt wrestled with God about forgiveness and unfairness. He had to overcome anger and bitterness. In his wait, he allowed God to change him! The prodigal wasn't the only one that needed to have some 'holy adjustments' made in him.

I've had a prodigal return, and when he was ready, I was ready too! My heart had already forgiven. My bitterness was gone and my hurt had been healed because God had already changed it from a wound to a scar. I dealt with it before the circumstance was resolved so that when my prodigal came home, I could receive him with open arms and be filled with compassion. Oh, yes, there were conversations to be had, but they have been filled with love and not anger. 

There is yet another prodigal in my life. I will hold out hope. I will place my hope in a God who can do the impossible! And in the wait, I will allow God to make changes in me so that I can be prepared if he chooses to return home. I will also seek God's wisdom to prepare others for his return so that it can be a celebration of Christ's son returning home!

Do you have a prodigal in your life? If so, join me in praying for our prodigals and for our own hearts to be changed.

Dear Lord,
My prodigal is in your hands. I cannot change their choices, but I ask that you pursue them diligently. Draw their heart to you and help them know that it is safe to return home where we can find the healing needed for their broken heart. Father, in the wait, change me. Teach me to forgive. Help me overcome anger and bitterness. Show me compassion and mercy from your perspective so that I in return can offer it to my prodigal. In your holy and precious name I pray. Amen and amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!